Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Split ends/Hair Breakage?

Mal
@mal
14 years ago
15 posts
So this has been a question on my mind for some time, and i really needed to ask people who have had experience with dreadlocks.My hair is roughly 6~inch's in length, i'll probably give it a few more inch's before i start to have it dreaded, my concern is.. my hair is split to all hell and seems to have a lot of breakage.. i'm going to be having my dreadlocks done naturally, and was wondering if this is going to pose a problem?The breakage concerns me the most due the the process of creating tension with the hair while its been twisted. My hair is naturally dry/straight.Thanks, Scott.
updated by @mal: 01/13/15 08:33:21PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i think your confused by the term naturally if you dread naturally theres no tension no twisting so no problem with the split endsi would say definitely dont backcomb if your talking about twists then i guess your african hair type? dont twist too crazy and only untill it holds form then stopu can also trim off the very ends 1/8 inch to remove broken damaged ends but not necessary especially if u do go natural since its so gentle there will be no added damage

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mal
@mal
14 years ago
15 posts
I'm sorry, I believe i was confused when using the term 'natural'. I'm having it done by a trio of people who run a dread-locking business forming dreadlocks organically without the use of wax or backcombing.I was just concerned that too much of my hair would break to sustain dreadlocks.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
you normally will lose some inches while starting, or just not experience any real length added for awhile. this is normal and pretty much to be expected though.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hmm what type hair do u got and what exactly are they goung to do generaly salons and locticiains are an extremeloy bad idea , although there maybe exceptions.. but only about 1% in the entire world are not a disaster.. so please be 100% sure what they are going to do is not going to harm youand well u can do it much better much cheaper yourselfid realy advise not going to any salon at least not till you findout exactly what yhey are going to do and run it by usjust cause they domt use wax doesnt make em great..1 salon refused to use wax cause wax was bad...instead they used luiquid latex...

--
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
Liquid latex?What a great idea! i don't see a single wrong thing with that!...Nope!0_O
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
WAS A SWEET FREIND FROM ANOTHER FORUM SHES KINDA EMBARRASSED ABOUT IT BUT YEA COMPLETELY COATED EM IN IT INSTEAD OF LEAVING WAXY MESSES EVERYWHERE ALL HER CLOTHES AND FURNITURE WERE COVERED IN RUBBERSALONS ARE ALMOST ALWAYS A VERY BAD WAY TO DREAD THATS WHY I REALLY RECOMEND U GET VEERY DETAILED INfo on what they do what they use and what they recomend afterwars and tun it all by us 1stim sure we can save u hundreds of dollarsand probly save u from having to start over Iain said:
Liquid latex?
What a great idea! i don't see a single wrong thing with that!

Nope!
0_O

--
Mal
@mal
14 years ago
15 posts
As far as i know, they dont use any chemicals of any kind.. they've done and maintained the dreadlocks of alot of friends of mine who regularly attend Rainbow Serpent and smaller Doof parties.However, i will find out the exact process they use and let you guys know. Thanks for the answers ;)
Courtney J
@courtney-j
14 years ago
100 posts
my hair was way unhealthy when I first backcombed. Some of my hair did break off. But since then I haven't had any issues with my dreads. My new hair growth is soft and healthy because I am not piling on products.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
they could still crochet felt interlockjust the fact your freinds go back to "maintain" to me isd a bad sign Scott Crookston said:
As far as i know, they dont use any chemicals of any kind.. they've done and maintained the dreadlocks of alot of friends of mine who regularly attend Rainbow Serpent and smaller Doof parties.

However, i will find out the exact process they use and let you guys know. Thanks for the answers ;)

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form