Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

restarting

Eric Is Asche
@eric-is-asche
14 years ago
37 posts
not sure if this is the right place for this discussion. but as most of you know i started dreading the summer of last year. and backcombed and crocheted. yes i know both are bad for your hear. and after reading about all of your journeys i would like to start over. only thing is i don't want to cut my hair. the tips are rounded and some of the actual dreads have been corcheted. so my question is. how hard would it be to get them out and get straight hair again? and is it worth all that? should i cut my hair and start from scratch? should i let them grow and dread on their own then cut the wierd lookin ends? i will upload some pictures in a bit.

eRic

updated by @eric-is-asche: 02/14/15 10:53:38PM
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Depends how you wanted to restart it. If you want to do it natural for personal reasons then it may be pretty hard to brush out but there are ways. It'll just be a real pain in the ass and chances are you will still have to cut some off anyway. If it's just because you don't want the wax in it or the crocheted parts but still plan on backcombing or tnr then I'd recommend just letting it grow and cutting off the waxed parts little by little as it gets longer.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hard to say u can let them "naturalize" by leaving em alone to sort themselves out (if waxy yea maybe better to start over)if u want to cpmb out be very slow anfd genyle soak in conditioner and or olive oiul and comb just the last 1/8 inch slowly working up 1 dread at a time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Eric Is Asche
@eric-is-asche
14 years ago
37 posts
well i never waxed. just back combed and crocheted. the only thing thats really grinding my gears is that some times they lay flat and look real nice. and at times they are completely out of control. i have to tie my hair back for work and wear a hat. and i also sweat my ass off at work. and it seems after i take them out of the tail they are crazy. i wash them and everything is fine. i dunno i'm so confused on what i really wanna do with them. i think i'm gonna go wash them and then i'll feel better about myself.
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
How much undreaded roots do you have? If you can stick your finger through the root then I say just let it grow and let it naturalize like SE said. My last set got painfully tight because I didn't know to not re-backcomb it and I put bands on the tips.
Eric Is Asche
@eric-is-asche
14 years ago
37 posts
yea i can get my thumb through the roots. i think i'ma let em go and see what happens. they say time heals all wounds right?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
good plan

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
sound alot like mine, just outta curiosity how long are ur current locks, the thing u said about tying them at work sounds JUST like me, every time i take the hair tyes out they would act weird, sometimes painful, an id want to hide my hair,after about 5ish months of working like this you find the better ways to tie your hair back, and they don't hang out as goofy, though alot of this could be because of the length gained as well, personally I'd say let them be, an it will work out.
Angel
@angel
14 years ago
77 posts
I agree with Knottysleeves I just finished takin mines out saturday (march 27) of after a year of backcombed dreads. It took me about a month (laziness) I'm not sure how it will turn out since you also corcheted them. It can be done tho. I also didn't want to loose length. Make sure you want to actually take them out tho. Many times during the whole process of taking mines out I wish I never started taking them out. But I knew what I was going for.
Eric Is Asche
@eric-is-asche
14 years ago
37 posts
they are about shoulder length. i work as a cook at panera bread. so i wear i hat. i could wear a visor but they already bitch about hair in the food. so for 6 sometimes 12 hours a day my hair is pulled back, and under a hat. when i get off i usually put on a sleeve i cut off and old t shirt or bandana just cause they look goofy without. maybe i'm just freakin out a bit cause they are still baby's. Iain said:
sound alot like mine, just outta curiosity how long are ur current locks, the thing u said about tying them at work sounds JUST like me, every time i take the hair tyes out they would act weird, sometimes painful, an id want to hide my hair,
after about 5ish months of working like this you find the better ways to tie your hair back, and they don't hang out as goofy, though alot of this could be because of the length gained as well, personally I'd say let them be, an it will work out.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form