Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

new dreadlocks, or are they?

alex a
@alex-a
14 years ago
2 posts
first off, i have asked in other places and i only recived advice that seems like there wasnt too much thought behind it...

with that being said, my roommate dreaded my hair last night for me, but im not sure they are actually dreadlocks( yes i am aware that dreadlocks take time), (oh i forget to say i used the backcomb + wax method), so i was looking at them today and i can pull the hair appart with out much trouble so i dont think they are matted too well although it isnt easy to run a comb through them so i heard that what i have might be called "plaits" (spelling?) i have tried to use the palm roll to encourage matting, but that hasnt seemed to help them mat at all, ( i have super straight hair) so today i bought some lemons and salt and mixed it with water to make my own accelerator( is this a bad idea?) to encourage dreading, but i feel as though its just the wax that is holding them together for the most part.

also, whats up with rubber bands? i have them on the end of each "dread" but after the rubber band the hair is not matted at all,and when i try to rub them in a circle motion to make them become more of a blunt tip, they dont change at all. so are rubber bands helpful or no?

any advice will be very appreciated, and sorry that i kinda jump around...it seems as though i cant go back and edit what i said with out erasing every thing.

updated by @alex-a: 01/13/15 08:31:37PM
alex a
@alex-a
14 years ago
2 posts
ill post a picture momentarily so you may visualize what im talking about
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ok u were screwed wax is never ever meant to be in dreads and it looks like all he did was smear in wax i dont see anyt backcombing at all just a ton of waxyou must start over no other optionok clean up all te wax comb it out make sure u got every trace of wax gonenow scrww backcombing twist n rip insread, and no you dont want any rubber bands inand leave the tips alonedont try to blunt em (tyey dry muc much slower wen blunt) you can blunt em monts down te road i dont advise it but i certainly advise against doing it till tey are formednow after u twist n rip (or better yet go natural) dont mess wit em no palm rolling just wash and seperate ..thats alll

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
14 years ago
213 posts
throw away dat comb, wax es no good and no needs to wash hahahahhaNamaste
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
see combing is anti dreadbackcombing to create dreads only causes tons of damagewax prevents dreading.. wax is a scam..noting more just a scamits te most common and most devestating mistake and number 1 reason for dreads being cut

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
^what they said, how much wax did he use to?also palm rolling never really helps them lock up, at most it smoothed them over for about a minute then goes back to normal, sometimes I still do it to get water out tho,Rubber bands are annoying to, especially at the tip, It never really helped me out either, once had it in the body of one for about 3months and all it did was compact the hair (not lock it up) at which point they worked in time, as far as tip rubbing goes, this never seems to change it much, at most your gonna rub the tip raw and just encourage the tips to break faster, (which depending on your hair type and how thick it is at the tips, might happen anyway)anyway the salt water idea is a good one, other than that post a picture :)time is key
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
On account that they were JUST done it'll be a breeze to comb out. jump in the shower with a comb and use a butt load of conditioner. that should get them out. Just wash your hair for a few days and do your best to get all the wax out mate, it takes awhile because waxes on really melts in water that is hot enough to burn you.After that you can try backcombing again. Personally i suggest you do the backcombing yourself because then it is less likely to hurt and less likely to be half assed. Your hair should really be about 6" to back comb. The shorter it is the more issues your gonna have with it, and the more you'll get frustrated. Every backcombing job is gonna loosen up a bit in the first few weeks but a shabby job or short hair can lead to complete unraveling. You can try your hand and Twist N' ripping but apparently, unless you have experience doing it, its really really hard to get the hang of it. so if you wanna go that route make sure you've got it nailed before you do it to your own hair.Wax is completely unnecessary and counter productive. The companies tell you that your hair dreads faster without any residues (residues are anything that is in your hair that aint hair) and wax is basicaly pure residue and its a bitch to remove, which DHHQ says you should do once a month with a hair dryer. melting the wax out of each dread individually would take more than one day. thats waaaaaaaay to much work for the average joe.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form