Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New girl on the block...

Angie
@angie
14 years ago
1 posts

Hey, I'm Angie. I had dreads for 2 years just before my first son was born. I'm now thinking about dreading my hair again now that my kids have gotten past the baby pull on your hair and rip chunks out phase.

When I first had my dreads done they were backcombed and wax was put on them. It seemed to work well for a little while but in the end my dreads just couldn't get their act together despite my best efforts. Then to make matters worse, a woman i paid to show me how to do maintenance on the roots, flipped them back through at the roots and made them even weaker.

This time I intend on doing the twist and rip method I've only just learned about from this website that I've been lurking around for the last month or so. I don't want to use wax, for obvious reasons of it doing nothing too awesome for the dread and because it's yucky poo on the back of your neck while you sleep.

I personally think the twisted look you get of the twist and rip dreads is awfully cute and a little feminine. I'm hoping for dreads that will have little curly ends and loops through them.

I used to have synthetic dreads joined at the roots of some of my real dreads, just by being looped through and easily removed without touching my dreads. I want to add a few more this time but was also wondering if anyone knew anything about dread extensions added to the roots to add length. I have incredibly weightless hair which tends to allow my dreads to look like they're constantly defying gravity, even two years into my last attempt.

And can i add some essential oil to my dreads just to make them smell pretty???

Peace, A.

updated by @angie: 01/13/15 08:31:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it was p[robly te wadx tat made em stick upinterlockings so terible its so bad for dreads did any fall off?extentions odviosly arent anything i ever messed with so ill let oters answerbut woulodnt put em thru the roots thats just like interlocking (the root flipping tinjg the loctition did)loctitions. about 99% of em are a total scam and do more harm then goodafter you twist and rip only maintenance you should do is ripping (seperating)nothing else is neededoils yes u can add some ..a drop or 2 here n there too much can make young dreads too slippery (and overpowering smell) but just a lil is fineu can also add to spritses rinces and washeswelcome to the site :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
Hi there Welcome :)I'm sure you will be happy with your locks,I've never extended mine, but saw that smud call me a dreaddocter has some awesome extensions as well as Knottysleeves,and yep you can add what you like to add scent, not sure about the effectiveness of some or how long certain ones last, but let me know if you find anything you like,
Roblynn Neumann
@roblynn-neumann
14 years ago
6 posts
Hola,I had my dreads ripped and torn and tattered and shredded and torched and anything else you can think of. I think that is the standard treatment here in Costa Rica, or the guy who did them was just really into torture. That was sure how it felt anyway. For the first six months they just looked really weird, now a year in I love them. I never used wax or anything on them. Lots of trips to the beach and lots of covers the first few months. I did do lots of rollin just to keep them separated and somewhat organized. Good luck and if you get them done like I did take somethin for the pain first!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form