Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New crochet dreads help

jdevarona92
@jdevarona92
7 years ago
8 posts
Ok so I just made this account. I've read on this site many times and decided since I just got dreads on July 30th, 2017, that I should make an account. So the woman who did my hair, she knows what she's doing. She knows just about all the ways to do them. She said for me and the way she likes to do them, is the crochet method. She says they look best. So that's what we did. Wow. I did not think it would hurt that much. I wanted to scream and kick my legs because of the pain. It took around 7-8 hours to do them. Now it was harder to do it with my hair since I'm Hispanic and my hair wasn't straight or curly, kind of in between. They were too shor she says to backcomb them first and then crochet, so she crocheted completely. Then she kinda sowed them, (she says that will be removed on next visit, which is in about a month). And then she put rubber bands on. First day, I didn't sleep. I stayed up until I took 3 ibuprofen and was able to relax and sleep. Before going to sleep I wrapped them with a shirt because they were standing up and stiff. When I woke up, they were not completely down but it was better. I was doing research because they hurt so much and wanted to see other options. What should I do? She says she does the twist method and but it doesn't last as long as the crochet method. But I think I'd prefer it to be a little frizzy and not hurt as much than have them looking almos perfect but hurt like hell. Thanks!!!
IMG_0657.JPG.jpg
IMG_0657.JPG.jpg  •  1.4MB

IMG_0659.JPG.jpg
IMG_0659.JPG.jpg  •  360KB

IMG_0660.JPG.jpg
IMG_0660.JPG.jpg  •  277KB

IMG_0661.JPG.jpg
IMG_0661.JPG.jpg  •  341KB

IMG_0664.JPG.jpg
IMG_0664.JPG.jpg  •  420KB

IMG_0677.JPG.jpg
IMG_0677.JPG.jpg  •  1.4MB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

hi well what is perfection? uniformity? crochet makes ridiculously unnatural dreads  and yea the process is brutal

do not go back!

in fact i would ask for a refund because that was not a good start but its ok they will recover slowly.. what are the worse issues your experiencing?

it was plenty long enough to just let it grow and dread ..it might not have started dreading till it passed 6 inches but would have came out way better without all that agony and all the harm it caused

sorry for your pain and suffering

best thing to do now is move forward and away from the bad start she gave you

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
jdevarona92
@jdevarona92
7 years ago
8 posts
Well what should I tell her to do next time?? I will attach a picture of what I essentially want them to look like
IMG_0255.JPG.jpg
IMG_0255.JPG.jpg  •  43KB

updated by @jdevarona92: 08/01/17 07:30:42PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

nothing

do not go back to her

the best way to get dreads is by doing nothing at all... letting them happen, so the next best thing is the very minimal effort of twist and rip.. then do nothing at all this you should do yourself

her sections are huge.. they will result in 1 of 2 things

1 you keep going back and end up bald to the size of the sections or 2 end up with huge dreads as thick as the sections

how many total dreads?

i would start over either natural (let it dread itself) or twist and rip 20 fat to 40 small to 75 thin or 100+ teeny

but letting it section itself more naturally would give a less fake look

they are starting to recover but will take awhile

a long time

its a brutal horrible method that takes a very very long time to recover from usually

you should never let any salon near your dreads though as less then 1% has any ethics at all..as you see they push the worse as the best

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

you took the bands out right away i hope right?

--
jdevarona92
@jdevarona92
7 years ago
8 posts
No I still have the rubber bands in. And it's been itching A LOT in the back and I just took a video and noticed its red around the sections in the back. I keep patting it because it itches a lot
MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

crochet is really bad for your hair as soaring eagle said, take the rubber bands off and let the hair rest! either leave them like that , no maintenace no nothing, just let them do their thing or try to undo them and go natural or after full recovery t&r when your hair is longer, but natural just makes the best dreads in my opinion, and crochet makes the worst fake looking dreads... especially when maintainedd, either way, did she use wax too? i'd defenitely undo them and wash well, and let recovery do it's thing, but let's wait for soaring eagle input I'm sure he's way more experiencied if she used wax, like in terms of knowing what to do 

jdevarona92
@jdevarona92
7 years ago
8 posts
She did not use wax at all
MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

take the rubbers out as they're making it harder for the hair to be well, since they're maintaining it in the same place.. also your hair was very short, she just wanted your money, if you paid I guess, either way she treated you bad, she did the dreads knowing your hair was very short to maintain a method and filled it with rubber bands to keep it together.... again i really recommend to take the rubber bands out and undo the "dreads" or let them stay idk, wait for souring eagle opinion on that, but me , I'd undo them and let them go natural, or if you're very inclined, i'd wait for full recovery (no pain!! no itching and a while after that...) and do t&r gently by myself or a friend after showing him what to do...

jdevarona92
@jdevarona92
7 years ago
8 posts
I paid $100 for that.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form