dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Flossing Dreads?

Buffalo Rogers
@buffalo-rogers
14 years ago
46 posts
No, not like you floss your teeth!

I had a science teacher last year named Mrs. Freeman. She has since moved on to another job, but I saw her at the school recently and she gave me some tips on dreading. She told me that she gave her boyfriend dreads once, and one thing that really helped was wrapping all of the individual dreads that have been recently made in floss. Tie it near the root, go down to the tip, knot, back to the root, knot. Keep it in a few weeks, a month, or more, and when you take out the floss you have dreads that are well on their way to developing.

Fact or myth? I've tried it on a few dreads and it seemed to work out pretty well. Will it hurt my hair in any way? It seems pretty harmless, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!

updated by @buffalo-rogers: 01/13/15 08:31:05PM
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
The only way i could imagine it hurting your hair is if they cause your dreads to retain water, thus molding. but it doesn't sound like that happening here. Hmmm, well I know that if they are wrapped too tight then movement of the hair can be restricted, and hair needs to move to knot and dreads. But again that doesn't seem to be the case here, you said it worked out pretty well.I don't think the floss would cause any harm to the hair but i know alot of people generally use hemp string instead.How do those dreads look and feel compared to dreads that were not wrapped up? I was considering wrapping the tips of mine, when I put them in, to mimic the affect of bands without having to worry about them melting and causing trouble.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
its same as air wraps, air does move inside as u wash since u bend it alll up, 1st wash or 2 can be stiff ten it softensadvantage it hiolds air in place allowiung easy but sligtly slowed dreadingdisadvantage it restricts thickening so the dreads were wrapped stay very thin wikle new growt at roots can be 3 times fatter

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Buffalo Rogers
@buffalo-rogers
14 years ago
46 posts
thanks brothers, just needed to make sure. I'l keep in mind to not make m to tight for my dreadies
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
air wraps are better as a decorative measure then they are for helping to dread

--
Flicker Wings
@flicker-wings
14 years ago
20 posts
maybe she was talking about embroidery floss? That's what most people use to make hair wraps.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea when decorative..floss is te same but maybe cheaper? just not meant to look good at all i gueses Flicker Wings said:
maybe she was talking about embroidery floss? That's what most people use to make hair wraps.

--
Buffalo Rogers
@buffalo-rogers
14 years ago
46 posts
she mentioned both, and embroidery floss ed be cool ya know but I'm money tight, 13 providing for myself, one job. I got a few different colors of floss though, reds and greens and white. I kind of like the look of it :)
Flicker Wings
@flicker-wings
14 years ago
20 posts
lolso she did tell you to use the kind that you floss your teeth with? Most floss I have used has had weird minty wax on it that I wouldn't want to put in my hair. I would however wouldn't mind putting embroidery floss on my hair. unless there's another kind of floss out there that I don't know about haha. Alexi Rogers said:
she mentioned both, and embroidery floss ed be cool ya know but I'm money tight, 13 providing for myself, one job. I got a few different colors of floss though, reds and greens and white. I kind of like the look of it :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form