Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

**Newbie Questions***

ALVIN V. VILLARTA
@alvin-v-villarta
10 years ago
3 posts

Hi Guys, I am Alvin and new to this site but the information about dreadlocks is awesome! I dread my hair 3 days ago and my wife and I realized that we did it the wrong way (backcomb with wax, too large sections, and did some crocheting too). Today my wife decided to undread my hair and have a fresh start. We are almost done (I mean she) and we just need some advise on which method we need to use. I am planning to go natural but I have a few question about it.

1. How long do you guys think will my hair lock?

2. What washing and drying method should I use? How many times a week? I think its very hard to find residue free shampoo here in my country. It is fine if I use a baby shampoo?

3. Will my dreadlocks be nice with natural method even my hair is already very long?

Thanks in advance!

And by the way, my wife is willing to TnR my hair so its also an option.

updated by @alvin-v-villarta: 01/13/15 10:02:25PM
DRS
@drs
10 years ago
47 posts

If you want to go full blown natural, each lock will develop differently, and at different rates. Hair tangles without a couple days of brushing, which is the very beginning of a lock. But to actually notice results, you're better off asking someone else. To wash, put baking soda on your wet hair, let it sit for ten or 15 minutes, then rinse with water. Then, rinse your hair with a little vinegar, and rinse with water soon after. Do this a few times a week, maybe every other day? As for drying, I blow dry mine, which I doubt is the healthiest method, then again we haven't had much sun here lately. I can't tell you how long it will take for your hair to really dread because I started with wax. In the process of trying to get the wax out. Most of the information I have given came from this site.

ALVIN V. VILLARTA
@alvin-v-villarta
10 years ago
3 posts

Thanks.

DRS said:

If you want to go full blown natural, each lock will develop differently, and at different rates. Hair tangles without a couple days of brushing, which is the very beginning of a lock. But to actually notice results, you're better off asking someone else. To wash, put baking soda on your wet hair, let it sit for ten or 15 minutes, then rinse with water. Then, rinse your hair with a little vinegar, and rinse with water soon after. Do this a few times a week, maybe every other day? As for drying, I blow dry mine, which I doubt is the healthiest method, then again we haven't had much sun here lately. I can't tell you how long it will take for your hair to really dread because I started with wax. In the process of trying to get the wax out. Most of the information I have given came from this site.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

let me clarify the wash routine
1 cup baking soda (bicarb, bicarbonate soda in some countries) to 10 cups water mix pour on soak 10 min then rinse then a couple spoonfulls acv (apple cider vinager) in same about water pour in and rinse right away
when mature use the same amount of acv as bs and soak 3 min but most dread shampoos can be ordered online and delivered

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ALVIN V. VILLARTA
@alvin-v-villarta
10 years ago
3 posts

Thanks SE! Okay I get the wash ingredients then will start tomorrow. How about maintenance? Can I pony tail my hair? Is too hot here in the Philippines esp its summer now. And about drying can I use towel or do I have to drain the water then blow dry?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

dont towel dry if its hot go sit in the sun! thats the best wayto dry

u can pit in a loose pony tail if u must but only while out in the extreme heat leave it down whenever u can pony tails sliw progress and also encourage it to form a pony dread..1 dread.. so u may need to separate more

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form