Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey Now! New guy, no dreads yet, could use advice

Sean Osborne
@sean-osborne
10 years ago
3 posts

Hi there people - I went wandering around the web last week looking for advice on how to start dreadlocks, and after lots of places tried to sell me stuff I found this place. Since you weren't trying to sell me anything, I gladly paid the 3 bucks when I joined the forum - thanks for being real! =^)

One of the first things I read was Soaring Eagle's post on natural dreads, which made so much sense that I decided the only way to go is nature's way. So on Saturday I stopped brushing my hair, stopped using conditioner, and I've been washing my hair with African Black soap (the lumpy stuff, not the pretty bar-of-soap-for-the-middle-class-droids stuff) since then.

So here's the thing: I know it's only been 6 days, but I'm not getting even the slightest hint of knots at this point. I look like a generic crazy homeless guy (not that there's anything wrong with that) but my hair isn't knotting.

There are three possible reasons I can think of. First, I have really fine hair, and even after almost a week of no brushing it's still really soft. I could probably run a brush through it right now. Second, my scalp has always put out a lot of oil, which keeps my hair pretty soft as well. And finally, I have a habit of running my fingers though my hair, which might be pulling apart any small knots that are trying to form.

Anyone have any advice, thoughts, encouragement, or random koans?

Thanks!

updated by @sean-osborne: 01/13/15 10:01:42PM
CoriElaine
@corielaine
10 years ago
173 posts

Glad you've found this site! Everyones hair is different, some people get some baby knots in the first couple months, others get theirs within the first year, just dont fret about it. :) stop running your hands through your hair to start, and enjoy your journey! :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome just to let you know that was an optional donation and is greatly appreciated and drastically needed right now

just want ppl to be sure they know its optional..

anyway..your fine sorta very few ppl show dreading in a week..like a couple percent

the soap might not be the best choice especially just starting out

oily hair tends to be aggravated by over washing and being too acidic

so baking soda (1-10 ratio) a week or 2 no acv (possibly longer if needed) will get it less oily

how longs it/ and learn to keep those hands out

give it tume

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sean Osborne
@sean-osborne
10 years ago
3 posts

Its not real long, only shoulder-length now. Gonna try the baking soda mix for awhile. Thanks for the idea!

And yeah, it was pretty clear the donation was optional, it just seemed like the right thing do do, cause i know bandwidth isn't free. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form