Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Backcombing regret

Jessica11
@jessica11
11 years ago
3 posts
So I have wanted dreads for years and recently decided to allow a friend who said she could 'start' them help. I knew that letting them go naturally would be better in the long run but I suffer from the dreaded impatience and a fair amount of OCD. She sectioned them and back combed them and now my hair is a rather big fluffy mess. If I re-do and let it knot up naturally will it be less frizzy? K don't want to palm roll but feel like I need to do something to keep them separated. I didn't realize it would be this 'sideshow bob' type fluffiness. It is not tight at the roots and not super stiff, Jo don't mind the roots but the frizzies are bothering me. Not like I walked outside and it's humid frizz, it's like fried hair feeling frizz. I feel post back combing regret and like maybe I just ruined my hair and not sure what to do. I thought having a friend help would be better but I see pics on here of naturally started dreads and I like the way it sections itself out small and crazy. I believe I have been suckered by salon people too much. So I guess my question is what now? Will they come together or should I start over?
updated by @jessica11: 01/13/15 10:00:42PM
SoupDragon
@pip-herbst
11 years ago
23 posts

All dread locks tighten as they mature, they will become thicker tighter and less frizzy over time. Back combing is still not a method for instant dreads, as mature dreads take a long time to achieve in any method of starting them. if you're not happy with the way they look now then you could try combing them out while they're still babies and go natural. natural is more spiritual, and fun to see how they change each week. Some people's hair dreads naturally faster than others. Also if you go natural the hair won't look as 'sideshow bobish' it won't stick out as much, however they will be wavy and crazy, much less straight and 'perfect' looking. I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

lets see what they look like but after a wash or 2 they may look better

so no wax was used no crochet?

how bug are the sections?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jessica11
@jessica11
11 years ago
3 posts
No wax and no crochet but I also got my hair colored before and am not 100% happy with it and it's just not at all how I wanted to start my journey. So in my usual learn the hard way route I have decided to comb the unnatural buggers out, get back to a more natural color and begin with more positivity. I want to do this right and now believe I have a better idea of how to go about it. I would like to start with neglect to allow my hair to section a bit more naturally, part of my issue earlier was that even after my first sleep my sections were trying to do their own thing, some splitting and many trying to swap places or merge. I don't want to force it like that, and I would like to start with smaller sections. I am really liking many of the twist and rip results I have seen on this site as well. Do you think I'm on to a better start? I am glad you are so helpful with the misguided newbies such as myself hah
Jessica11
@jessica11
11 years ago
3 posts
Just for more background on me I have been using baking soda and acv for some time, adding some herbs from my garden. I don't wash everyday as is, my hair type is somewhat curly/wavy and separates pretty quickly into smaller sections. It would probably take longer than some to actually knot up and I'm sure I'll have the wispy flyaways. I do have some issues with hard water and my hair becoming dry so the natural product and essential oil info I'm finding on here is really going to be helpful.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it may dread faster then u think

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form