Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

High Forehead/Receding Hairline and Dreads?

Mario Grech
@mario-grech
11 years ago
10 posts

Hello Fellow Humans!

My Name is Mario, friendly man, overall life enthusiast and I am currently growing my hair out for dreadlock. I have done plenty of research about prepping my hair for dreads but wanted some feedback from some outsiders perspectives here who aren't afraid to tell me the truth! I am battling a receding hairline and have always had a high forehead, but now its more pronounced. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

http://s197.photobucket.com/user/makingmario/media/644215_10100224847951644_2068868905_n.jpg.html?filters [user]=48884751&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

My question is, in your opinion, would dreads look completely ridiculous on me? Also, would the pulling and tightness of the dreads make my hair fall out faster? That may seem like a lame concern, but I do work a professional job andmy employer has agreed to allow me to have them as long as they are clean, healthy, and kept looking nice and tight.

Any suggestions on how to style my dreads to help NOT accentuate this?

I have been growing my hair since this last picture, and its around4" now, I figure by the time summer hits I will give it a go.

updated by @mario-grech: 01/13/15 10:00:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

your employer cannot require them to be kept tight..clean yes but not tight

and i'll write him a letter if needed

what research do u think you did?

you will look fine with dreads

but yes pulling and tightness will increase balding thats why you do not want to force tightness!

the roots must never be any tighter then they naturally will be

so lets talk about methods and maintenance options

what were you planning to do?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mario Grech
@mario-grech
11 years ago
10 posts

soaring eagle, thanks for the reply. Awesome site! There is such a plethora of information on here and such wonderful suggestions and overall "dreaducation". I love it.

My employer is really cool, he wouldn't fire me or anything, its just a general agreement to keep them looking as nice as possible. He is a biker with long hair himself, covered in tattoos, so the general agreement behind all of this is to look clean and well groomed, notnecessarily clean cut.I misspoke when I said to keep them tight, I only meant to keep them looking as nice as possible, but thank you forbeing willing to write him a letter, that is kind of you. I work in an office with almost no visitors and we are casual here, but occasionally big wigs do visit and those days we just need to be sure to look presentable which I don't see as a problem

The research I have done was basically to stop using any shampoos with any residue or detergents. I am actually using a baking soda wash now and will start using sea salt spray later down the road when I get closer to time to start. I want some more length before I start, maybe 6-8 inches of hair, just personal preference. Then the sea salt spray will start. I will not be using any locking products. Stop combing, wash with baking soda, use salt spray.

There is a lot of false information out there as you know, and this site should be everyone's go-to site for education, and just overall truths and myths regarding dreads.

Thanks for the opinion, I am self conscious about the hairline as it is, and with the added attention from having dreads I was just concerned.

So methods....I would either go with the natural method or twist and rip. The thing I like about twist and rip is being able to control the shape of each dread and keep them more uniform. Natural/Neglect method is nice too, it appeals to me simply for the "let it grow" attitude but as I understand they can look a bit sloppy, especially at first and not really very uniform.

As far as maintaining, I have more learning to do here, but baking soda wash is probably the way I would like to go. Would you agree? I am probably 6-8 months from starting this project. . I also understand that they may kind of fly up in the air at first or stick out, and to use a beanie, or something like that to keep them down.

Sorry for the novel!

-Mario

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ok ,,good was just afraid you were going to fall into the interlocking or twisting thing that would increase balding

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mario Grech
@mario-grech
11 years ago
10 posts

Thanks again SE

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form