Dreadlocks Forums

10 months in

Kylie2
@kylie2
11 years ago
6 posts

Hey all!

Just saying hi!

I have 10 month old dreads, I put them in using the backcombing method and a little wax (very tiny amount and never used it again!) and started off with lots of maintenance, rubbing and palm rolling etc. Have now decided to stop all that nonsense and let em be! I do have to separate them quite often as I have very frizzy, curly hair and they like to grow together :)

Just 2 questions...

Now I've stopped palm rolling and circular rubbing, what can I expect them to do over the next few months?

And are there any reasons why I shouldn't tie them up all the time?

Kylie

updated by @kylie2: 02/14/15 10:20:14AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

any wax use is a bad mistake and must be removed so thats yop priority

now that you stopped all the rubbing they will get better and better and be less damaged but u may find alot of hairs were pulled right out of the scalp with the rubbing and rolling so the roots maybe weakened

yea typing them up all the time can hinder progress

but also if its tight and left tied up extended periods can even cause thinning of the hair in the form of traction alopecia

but if its looser and/or let down often releasing the tension then your just slowing progresss

oh

also tied up your encouraging them to all grow together

if u kept them in a ponytail a year youd have 1 ponydread

same with a bun youd get a big ol balled up dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kylie2
@kylie2
11 years ago
6 posts

Thanks for the answers!

I can find no evidence of any wax still being in my dreads so I think I'm ok there :)

I'm going to wear them down more often now and only tie them up when I need to look more 'presentable'.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wax can surprise you it can survive 10 years of washing even boiling

was a blow dryer used to melt it in? if so id do wax removal

is there any sign of stiffness or hardness?

--
Kylie2
@kylie2
11 years ago
6 posts

I really did just use the tiniest amount, my dreads are soft and pliable. Never used a dryer to melt them in, just used a little to tame frizz. Have started using baking soda to wash them too so if there was any wax left (though I really don't think there is) it should go.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

baking soda wqont remove wax very very hot water and dawn dish soap will from what you say you shouldnt need wax b gone a scrub with the hottest water u can stand and dawn should be all u need..and once just as a precautionary measures not a bad idea

--
Kylie2
@kylie2
11 years ago
6 posts

Yeah will do it as a precaution.

Don't think we have that soap in the UK, will any detergent based soap work?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no in uk fairy liquids the closest equivelent use that

--
Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts
I used soft wax twice only and I didn't think there was any left in my dreads ether untill I used some wax B gone just to be sure... I noticed a huge difference in my hair
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

haha yea sometimes the only way you can tell if theres wax in them is to remove it

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form