Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hi people!!

Nabin Giri
@nabin-giri
14 years ago
12 posts
Hi...I am Nabin all the way from the foothills of Mt. Everest, Nepal. I have had my locks for about 6 months now. I had them crocheted through a fren. Initially he did it very "loosely" just to give a "shape". He had emphasized on lots of palm rolling "about 20 mins for each lock a day". I kinda freaked out when i started seeing lots of loose hair and forced him to tighten those locks by crocheting. After a couple of weeks, i secretly asked someone else to use needles :(. my mistake. I also used wax quite a few times.
Now i am beginning to see these loose hair (a lot of them, please check my photos). My questions are: 1.what do i do about these loose hairs? lots of them are around the nape and of course closer to the roots.
2. How frequently do I wash my hair? I currently wash them once in 2 weeks. Obviously dandruff is an issue.

Please help me. I would feel highly obliged and grateful for all the help I can get that will save my locks (not that i m thinking of getting rid of them any soon but you never know).

updated by @nabin-giri: 01/13/15 08:30:42PM
Kundalini Rise
@kundalini-rise
14 years ago
67 posts
Wash your hair whenever it smells, or becomes greasy. Don't over wash and produce a dry scalp.For the loose hairs, gently, palm roll. There is no need for wax or a crochet, and using them will only make you need them more and ultimately become dependent on them to make your hair look like you want it.In the end, time will perfect them, along with clockwise rubbing, and palm rolling. The more natural, the more natural they will look.Your dreads look very good, to me, as long as you don't over tighten them with the tools, or put more wax in, you can see a little discoloration but that will wash out with time. They should be fluffy and free, so that wax doesn't get caught and cause build up and "weighted" down look. Or even the "standing" straight look.Some have that naturally, due to frizzy hair, but they should eventually go with the wind. Have fun.
Nabin Giri
@nabin-giri
14 years ago
12 posts
Thanks a ton for the help. I have stopped using needle and wax for couple of months and don't intend to. Any suggestions on what I should use to wash these locks? Kundalini Rise said:
Wash your hair whenever it smells, or becomes greasy. Don't over wash and produce a dry scalp.

For the loose hairs, gently, palm roll. There is no need for wax or a crochet, and using them will only make you need them more and ultimately become dependent on them to make your hair look like you want it.

In the end, time will perfect them, along with clockwise rubbing, and palm rolling. The more natural, the more natural they will look.

Your dreads look very good, to me, as long as you don't over tighten them with the tools, or put more wax in, you can see a little discoloration but that will wash out with time. They should be fluffy and free, so that wax doesn't get caught and cause build up and "weighted" down look. Or even the "standing" straight look.

Some have that naturally, due to frizzy hair, but they should eventually go with the wind. Have fun.
Kundalini Rise
@kundalini-rise
14 years ago
67 posts
Diluted Dr Bronners is helpful, but the scented kind may have some oils, however minute. Any dry/non-residual soap will work, most use cider vinegar and baking soda or possibly dry bar soap.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
yep what she said ^Tea Tree (very sparingly)can help alot with dandruff, its awesomeyou should also look into this http://dreadlockforums.ning.com/forum/topics/super-clean-dreads-safe-for which is also very helpful for cleaning,generally speaking, the less you try to "Fix" your locks, the longer they will last,something that can help with your loose hair temporarily is you can wrap it at the lock you want it to go in and put a bead/stitch/wrap around it. sometimes the hair can go into the lock as well
Kundalini Rise
@kundalini-rise
14 years ago
67 posts
"yep what she said ^" ^_^Tea Tree oil, I haven't tried it in the dreads yet, I use essential oils for body soap (mixed with Dr. Bronner's almond), face wash, and deodorant, but I haven't tried it in the dreads. What's the outcome?
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
since I started working at a vitamin shoppe i've been experimenting alot with all the essential oils we have, (cept no thyme which sucks)that one is very helpful (i ended up buying the Dr Bronner's (the peppermint liquid one tho)and add my own essentials into it to get the best of both world's (essentially in theory)and it feels very good.(I still get dandruff, very little though, I'm hoping the rest is just fine tuning till I perfect it like some sort of mad scientist, lol)
Kundalini Rise
@kundalini-rise
14 years ago
67 posts
I've been doing the same thing.Too much peppermint oil and tea tree in bath will result in an ecstatic feeling over your skin, if it's hot. If it's cool you'll simply shiver to pieces. The peppermint, with the oils, makes a rejuvenating face wash, and body, if you want to coolness.I use, Cary Sage, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Lavender, Eucalyptus, and sometimes Lemon, but I think that is unnecessary and will burn your skin even with a little bit or too much abrasion.I wonder what else is out there.
ratcakie
@ratcakie
14 years ago
60 posts
as far as the loosies go...just leave em do there thing, dreads neva gunna look like you want em to.. eventualy they will work there way in to ya locks which is where ripping/seperating comes in and stops the hair goin into the undesired dreads, i wash mine 2,3 times a week with a tea tree shampoo that actually removes residue and it works great for me, but every one is differant so... you could try an anti dandruff shampoo see how it goes... other wise keep lookin around the site ( and dare i say others) till you find sumthing that you like and try it... good luck and happy travels my friend... :)
Nabin Giri
@nabin-giri
14 years ago
12 posts
Thanks for all ur kind words of advice. This forum rocks!!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form