Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

An introduction and request for some good advice!

Jo4
@jo4
11 years ago
3 posts

Hello to all of you heady dready bees!

My names Jo. I've been dreading for about 3 months now. I backcombed for the most part but also did a little twist n' rip here and there.

No wax. I wash with organic honeysuckle soap. It's moisturizer free and works well for the most part. Occasionally, I also use baking soda.

So far, my dreads seem to be locking pretty good. A lot of people are surprised when I tell them they're only 3 months old! However, it has not been an easy journey so far. But I'm happy I haven't given up because I know it'll be worth it once they age!

I started it out with thin, layered hair. Down to my chest. When I first began, and for around the first month and a half I only had 18 dreads! I didn't really notice until I counted one day and I was a little alarmed considering my hair is very thick at the root and they would be big, big fatties if I let them continue to that number. I like smaller / medium dreadies.

When I first did them, I didn't really section my hair out too much or anything. I just kind of grabbed at what looked like 'about the right amount' of hair at the time.

Since then, I've been splitting a bunch in half. Even some in 3 or 4! Now I have 60-62 dreads. Is this a good number for thinner hair that's thicker at the root?

I'm nervous because some of them are now so thin, they almost look like some of the loose hair I have hanging around. I feel like they will get a lot bigger once they mature though, correct?

updated by @jo4: 01/13/15 09:57:14PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yes they will now i have never really successfully got an Accurate count on mine i think early on there was 75ish

about 18 years in i tried counting and got lost around 200 (i probably double counted a few)

i then stopped seperating and last check had 58 bases 87 tips or thereabouts

i still have new babies pop up by the dozens then promptly join into thicker ones

point is the numbers constantly changing..even weekly it seems at least monthly

anywho

this i s them at 18 years (dont got a good pic at 23 but theres a vid in featured vids)

id guess there were at least 100 at that ppint

but then again since we counted 87 tips maybe it was just 87

60 something will be fine ..on the thinner side

um run the soap ingredients by our soap experts u dont wanna end up with ea residue issue

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Jo4
@jo4
11 years ago
3 posts

Ingredients:Glycerine, saponified coconut, palm and/or palm kernel, vegetable (coconut/corn/sugar) derived surfactants, corn derived humectants and sodium citrate.

Although I do like this soap, and haven't noticed any residue issues yet - I'm thinking I may switch to vinegar soon. I feel like it will make them more dry yet help my itchy scalp.

Also, should I start doing sea salt sprays? Or is that a bad idea....

Jo4
@jo4
11 years ago
3 posts

But WOW your dreads are amazing!! I love seeing people with dreads as long as they are. They must add a lot of weight to you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u dont wash e]with vinegar u wash with baking soda and afterwards do a weak vinegar rinse vinegar conditions so u use very lil just to reset the ph ballence

yea u can use sea salt ..just avoid getting it on the scalp

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form