Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Interlocked

LucienGrey
@luciengrey
11 years ago
3 posts
Im in need of some advice. Roughly two months ago I started my journey to dreads by going to a friend of a friend who's family all style and maintain locks. It may also help to mention that im Caucasian and the friend helping is of african descent from the carribean. That being said, she's only ever worked on one other Caucasian person, but I had seen the results and it looked promising. Now , I should mention I did pay for the assitance...however the cost was next to nothing for nearly 10 hours of work. What I did not know was the method being used. I had done a fair amount of research, and knew not to have my locks crocheted, but id never come across interlocking. This was the method used.So, with the back story in place.. I would like some honest feedback without any hindsight. Granted, my dreads are holding up after two months, and i have not been maintaining aside from washing every three days and occasional TNR on the ends.. would it be beneficial to take them out and start over completely?
updated by @luciengrey: 01/13/15 09:57:00PM
JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

Some will say take them out because you will get holes in them. Others might say let them grow out and then cut them off. Are your dreads fashion, a lifestyle a spiritual thing? If you are just doing fashion, I say let them be and if you do get holes in the future you can simply cut the ends off. You might not have chosen what others in a natural neglect site would have chosen, but you made your choice.

Ethnicity has a lot to do with it, but since you are Caucasian I've got no help for you. I undid a ton of mine, 76 out of 80, two have places in them I don't care for, but they are not holes, just little knots. But the back of my neck and new growth I interlocked and it dreaded up just fine. Not a huge help I know, but I'm willing to accept that not everyone gets dreads for the same reason, for the same time, or the same method. You didn't use wax so happy days.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

each interlock points a min of 30% weaker and is a snap point with no elasticity no shock absorbsion

when you interlock as maintenance thats the most severe harm these people ..can you see their scalps between dreads? are the roots thinner then the tips?

they will go bald from the abuse they put their dreads through

what to do is a tough call cause interlocks are tough to get out once they set it (after just a few days)

pics would really help alot

oh but dont tnr the ends leave em alone

was interlocking just done at the roots or whole length

i would absolutely tell them why its such a terible method

if your able to start over i would they will be way healthier happier and last longer

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

Yeah I wouldn't keep interlocking that's for sure

LucienGrey
@luciengrey
11 years ago
3 posts
I will post a picture. They were done just about the whole length and were snug to the roots when they were first put in, however I have not maintained and have since grown about a fourth to half an inch of new growth.I didn't really start for fashions sake, however, neither was it for an overwhelming need for spiritual growth. I just needed a change. More like a catalyst to change some things in my lifestyle.. however I would still like what is most beneficial for my locks in the long term.I have also been using saline soaks, so has this helped set the dreads further? Im betting the vibe that it might just be best to try and unlock them however im conceened with how difficult this will be
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it can be done just do it slow and careful soal]=k in conditioner or olive oil

use something like a thun kno=itting needle to pick at it slowly once some is looosened up brush it then pick at it more

if u hit a tough spot really soak it in conditioner/oil squeeze it in deep and leave it for hours or over night while u work on a diferent dread

yea sea salt soaks will have tightened em

are u using sea salt or what and how are u doing it for how long

--
LucienGrey
@luciengrey
11 years ago
3 posts
Yes, I have been using pure sea salt soaks once a week with a sea salt mix in a spray bottle used a couple times a week, but not too damp.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u shouldnt leave it on rinse it off after no more then 2 hours

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form