dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Had to Comb Out Some Baby Dreads

Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

Hey everyone!

It's been difficult for me to separate my baby dreads from each other, especially the ones in the back! About six in the back were so stuck together, that after an hour of trying to separate them, I ended up using scissors to cut some out. I had no idea what I was doing, and clumps of my hair ended up falling out, but it isn't noticeable.
They were so formed together at the root, I ended up combing out most of my baby dreads in the back. I originally used twist and rip, and so my main question is:

Should I tnr the back again, or can I leave them to form on their own? I'm afraid that they'll swallow each other up again that way. I'm definitely going to be more diligent about separating everyday! Thank you :)

updated by @meg5: 01/13/15 09:56:02PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

It is up to you which way you want to dread. They say neglect is the best, I used T&R. I would think that this method is easier to keep the sections separated. Yeah, some of us at first need to separate daily, sometimes twice a day, but it does change over time and will not need to be done as often. You will learn as you go as to how often you need to do it. Good luck.....peace

NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

You could leave them to form, but that is up to you.. Personally, I went natural, and I am happy I did :D. Much love and peace to you.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Meg, these two videos might help you in the future, Baba Fats made both of them and they are how to's for separating: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/separating-tutorial http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/separating-tutorial-part-2

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

No, you can let them grow naturally, but most definitely separate often, don't let it get that bad. Try not to separate too much in the beginning though. I combed out some of my dreads over a year ago and they still have no knots because I separate them so much (it's mostly because it's instinct, they fall into my face and I brush them away without realising). But I've also got some loose hair that formed baby dreads, and I never had to separate them as they were forming. So try to get a feel for how often they need to be separated, but try not to mess with them too much, because the less you mess with them, the quicker they dread.

For the record, once your hair dreads more, you'll need to separate less. I can go months without separating my dreads and only one or two have only just started to congo, so it gets better!

SimpleSpiveys
@simplespiveys
11 years ago
58 posts
Thanks for posting, I'm in the same boat
Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

Oh goodness, I can't thank you all enough!!
My parents are against dreads, but are starting to warm up to them by seeing how helpful and generous the community is to me on here. Thank you all so much<3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form