I've already done some research into getting dreads, etc, but I have some questions that haven't been answered.
- With fully mature dreads how long does it take you to dry your hair? (I know it depends on the length, maturity, and thickness of the dread, so I just mean generally.) - If/when I get dreads, I'd want them to be as thin if possible, preferably pencil width.
- How do you keep your hair dry in the bath/shower?
- How long does it take your dread to grow 1 inch? (I only ask as a reference, as non-dreaded hair takes roughly 2 months.)
- I'm a girl and I want to have longer dreads (no shorter than this (http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0f/32/24/0f32240ef929054c1c262e75b2030b80.jpg), though preferably shoulder length), so I was wondering what would be a good length to start dreading my hair?
- Do you need to do anything special to keep your dreads dry on rainy days?
- How do you keep your head and ears warm in winter without a hoodie or beanie?
- How long does it take dreads to become "acceptable" looking? (I don't mean mature, I just mean not ridiculously messy.)
- I have short, chemically straightened hair (the shortest part is about 4in)... I know straight hair isn't the best for dreads, but I was wondering, considering that my hair has been damaged (and is therefore rougher in texture, even though it's straight), would it be able to be dreaded, or should I just let my hair grow out (which I'm doing any way)?
- How long should I take to prep my hair, before getting it done?
- Which would you recommend as a better starter? Rip-and-twist or backcombing?
- How itchy does your scalp get?
- Do you get headaches? And if so, how bad?
- Lastly, how often do you get people staring at you or saying something nasty to you, or within hearing distance of you?
Sorry that there are so many questions, and some oddly specific ones, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around whether or not I really want dreads, or just the idea of them. Anyway, thanks! :D
updated by @riri: 01/13/15 10:00:17PM