Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How to cut my dreadlocks

Butterfly
@butterfly
11 years ago
56 posts

My 2 year anniversary of dreading will be June 17. Sadly my hair just doesn't want to lock. In 2 years I have about 12 solid hard dreadlocks. The rest of my hair has continued to look just like it looked the first week I stopped brushing it. I have come here for advice and have done all the things suggested. I have sprayed with salt water. I have used only baking soda and ACV for washes. I've tried washing more, I've tried washing less. I've gone to the beach and swam in the ocean several times lately as it's gotten warmer. I've used beads, I've used wraps. I've used the baking soda paste to try and damage it. I've used the lock up gel. I really am sick of it all. I've walked around for 2 years looking like a homeless person, lol who just doesn't take care of her hair. I really wanted it to work and I feel like I've really tried hard, but now I'm done. So I have no idea how to cut this mess out of my hair with all these huge clusters and bumps which are inconsistent since they are random and other parts of my hair are still normal and rather healthy looking. Also I plan a long-distance hike on the Appalachian Trail next spring, so I'd have to cut it for that anyway. Help please!

updated by @butterfly: 01/13/15 09:52:42PM
Kazi Khadka
@kazi-khadka
11 years ago
22 posts

hey, that just explains how bad you want dreadlocks. But why are you giving up anyway?
At least, you have 12 solid dreads. I've been doing this past 11 months and all of my progress is 3 little baby dreadlocks at the backside of my hair which is not even getting any harder. I think you should give it a little time. Some of us are kinda unfortunate that it takes quite a considerable amount of time to have fully matured dreadlocks. Else, you can try another methods like twist and rip if you really think that it is the end point for you. If one method fails, there's always another. I have seen many dreadheads who followed another processes and yet, their hair looks supercool. I'm suggesting you not to cut it because your topic just explains how much effort you've put through all those years and how desperately you want it. Well, just like me in a way...:)
And does messy hair really bothers hiking btw??? :DDD
Well, that was just my opininon, I don't know if it was helpful because you said you're going to cut it anyway. But if my hair doesn't show any progress in 2 years and I become sick n tired of it, I'd rather crochet or twist and rip than cut it because I've been dreaming alot about dreads and I really really want it!
:D peace!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Sorry to hear your long journey did not have a happy ending with beautiful dreadlocks. You don't have to cut your hair at all, you can remove them. It takes patience and you obviously have it waiting two years for your dreads. Purchase conditioner, or use any oils you may have on hand. Soak a dread at a time with that. Slowly use a comb and start at the bottom, doing 1/8th of an inch at a time (.3cm). If the knot won't budge, just coat it some more with the conditioner or oils. They will come out, you may loose some strands in the process, but it will work with time and patience. Best to have your hair wet also, it makes it stronger when wet and can take more *abuse* (not the right word but you get the idea). Good luck and again sorry about your progress.......Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I do agree with Kazi if you truly still do want dreads, do the T&R method (2nd to free form), (but not crochet, that's a huge mistake), you can even backcomb those sections (the third best method but does cause some damage). But as I explained above, if you still want to take them out, there is no need to cut. Get a friend to help you to if needed to remove them. Doing it yourself, do it over a few short days. All the best.....Peace

Butterfly
@butterfly
11 years ago
56 posts

i have done twist and rip - several times. They always just end up coming unraveled and falling out :( Like I said, I really have tried. I even backcombed a few sections but it came unraveled after a few washings too. It is such a disappointment because I thought my hair would be so easy to lock. It is very thick and coarse and wavy. And it's so grown so long over 2 years. I've always had very short hair and this was my first attempt at long hair since high school. As far as the hike goes, it's about a 6 month hike with chances for a real shower and shampoo only about once a week so I feel it will be more sanitary and easier to keep clean and much easier to find TICKS in short hair. I can't imagine trying to look for ticks with dreadlocks, lol. Thanks for the advice on using the oils and conditioners. Best to all of you on your journeys. Wish mine had turned out differently.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Wow, a 6 month hike, it will be another journey in your young life, one you will remember always. I hope you remember us and send a few of your favorite pics of nature along the way. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about your decision, you tried, case closed. Besides, dreads are not for everyone for life, at some point many people do take them out. For anyone to make you feel guilty is just wrong. You are now approaching another venture, a new stepping stone and a fun 6 month road ahead. Have a blast. Thanks for being part of the community with us.......Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form