Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural curly hair, it's a case of natural dreading or twist & rip.

Adam Shaw
@adam-shaw
12 years ago
3 posts

I've been wanting to dread my hair for a few years now, I've always tried looking after my hair day in and out and let's just say I've lost a lot of hair because of brushing it so much.

My hair is natural to the point where it knots within minutes to hours, I've just got a few problems.

I've already tried twist and rip and it worked well, but sectioning seemed a problem, my hair is thin and it's hard to know what to grab and where to section.

Here's a picture of me recently:

When I have tried the twist and rip method I started the back of my head. I did look after them but because I had loose hair it seemed to twist the 4/5 dreads into one. My hair isphenomenally curly.

My real question is, what should I do? If I leave it go natural I've got a bad case of it all knotting up into one, where sectioning and ripping seems fine but the other night I just had a bad gut feeling about it. Any advice would be great!

Here's another on length once straightened. It's about 19 inches at the front and sadly 17 on the back. (My mother gave me a bad haircut when younger haha!)

updated by @adam-shaw: 01/13/15 09:39:43PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no matter how u start u will have to rip it often to prevent congoes especialy since it wants to dread so fast

naturaly they will section into random sizes that look best inthin hait=r thick setions add body thin fill in gaps making it look more full

idreally recomend going natural

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

dude, your hair WANTS to dread. just think about about, and look at it, dont comb and watch it. it will begin locking within weeks. just wash and keep your head cleanand your hair will dread brother. serperating is the only maninence youn need.

Adam Shaw
@adam-shaw
12 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for the advice already, think I'll sort my hair out and just leave it to do the right thing.

My only worry is going about it, how do I make sure the sections stay? As well as that my curls section but they section together down my hair rather than a grid, so lots of hair is taken into vertical strips.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

let them section themselves why would you want a grid a grids goingto cause gaps thats what i was saying allow rhe hair to section itself it will settion in random sizes and places which is how it should

just seperate any that try to join together too big

--
Adam Shaw
@adam-shaw
12 years ago
3 posts

True, I didn't mean grid in the sense of wanting my hair all the same, just some will form too big.

Thank you, It was my girlfriend who pointed me here to the site and starting tomorrow I'll begin letting my hair form.

I'll keep more updated and have a look around the site! :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just rip any apart that do form too bifg

--
Coco Chloe
@coco-chloe
12 years ago
16 posts
I'm only about four months into the natural process, but my curly hair amazingly sectioned itself! Washing it with the baking soda rinse helps, and not touching it. It's wild to watch it happen, and mine is forming almost the same sections that I did when I back combed ages ago. Yours looks much curlier, it'll probably be faster! Enjoy and trust the Eagle.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form