Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How tight should the hole be?

Mechanical Butterfly
@mechanical-butterfly
15 years ago
24 posts
Tsk tsk tsk, dirty minded dreadies! lolI am, of course, talking about beads. I'm experimenting in making my own beads, because I'm crafty like that, and I've already got butt-tons of polymer and paper-clay lying about that I haven't used in a while.But, I'm not sure how tight is too tight for dread beads... should they be just tight enough to not fall off, or kind of snug, or what. I used the twist -n- rip so mine are kind of tapered. My dreads are already tightening up right-nice, and I'm mostly just wanting beads to kind of help with sectioning so I don't have to rip quite so much.So what say you, my fellow dreadies? How tight do you prefer your bead's holes?Light-n-LaughterTrev.
updated by @mechanical-butterfly: 01/13/15 08:28:57PM
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
TOIGHT LIKE A TEN YEAR OLD! hahahahhahaha nahhhhh, sorry jus had to say itehhh id say tight enough so they stay in the same place or jus comfortably snugwhat u DONT want is TOO tight, where it will make the lock all skinnier right where the bead was at
Mechanical Butterfly
@mechanical-butterfly
15 years ago
24 posts
lol. ;-)I kinda figured that I didn't want to squeeze the life outta the dreads, but like I said, they're tapered, and so far it's like... if I get the top part (closest to the scalp) snug, it's not snug enough to keep the whole bead from shifting down, because the the further down (away from the scalp), the looser it is on the dread.... If that makes sense?I guess I could try making a tapered bead...lol. And I'm trying to figure out how to make spiral beads with the polymer clay without them slumping in the oven. >.< If I can get the spiral thing down, that's work perfectly.Right now I have about fifteen that I've gotten to stay in, my babies are all different sizes, so it's hard to judge how big I have to make the inner diameter.. but if it were easy, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.. or satisfying in the end.
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
yaa i kno exactly wut ur talkin aboutjus let the roots do wut they do and be roots, theyll locks up when they needto adn wantto
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
haha, well I like the peyote stiches they fit pretty well to any dread around its size,but the fact ur getting them 2 stay in AND be able 2 make them is pretty cool! :)
Jessica
@jessica
15 years ago
70 posts
I think that beads in your hair should be the same tightness as rings on your finger. They should be on there good but you dont want them too tight cause then whatever you use to clean, shampoo for example would probably build up underneath. I have actual rings in my hair, not beads and they are on as tight as they would be on my finger, none have fallin' off either. you just kinda have to experiment you'll know when its too tight.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
meh, I finally started ripping mine at the very base of the dread instead of pulling apart as a whole (if that makes any sense...) and the beads just hinder sleep for me. But when I did have beads in they were just snug enough to stay put/roll around just a bit but loose enough that I could remove them when they hindered my sleep ^-^
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
15 years ago
39 posts
peyote stitch dread wraps are teh shit too! :) especially if you can get a stretchy one.. I would check etsy!
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
yeah, best place 2 get them, I love them 2, im using one right now to also combine 2 more dreads.
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
15 years ago
39 posts
oh wait.. knotty sleeves here on the forums makes peyote stitch.. hit em up!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form