Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

To Dread or Not to Dread; That is the question..

Cecelia Fae
@cecelia-fae
12 years ago
19 posts

Many people want dread-locks but are afraid, or weary, due to myths that they hear.. Having dread locks can be a life long commitment, but it doesn't have to be.. Many fine individuals have dreads for only a couple years and decide to take them out ( not shave their heads).. Dreads, unlike those rumors you hear, do indeed come out, It is a process indeed, but non the less it is do-able... Also there are the options of dreading naturally, or not.. I hear a lot of people say "OMG you can't wash your hair!!" NOT TRUE!! Actually most dready heads wash their hair more than non-dreaded people.. Dreading naturally is a beautiful thing, bit it is not the only option! Yes you can get dreads professionally put in.. Having dread-locks, I have found, is having patience, they are never going to be perfect.. That is why they are unique in there own little dready ways.. Some people's hair will tighten fast, some have to work at it.. Everyone is different, and everyone's dreads are different. Yes you can color dreads, a lot of people think you can't dye dread-locks, but just like regular hair you can.. It is a little harder because you are dealing with little sponges, but not impossible! Most people come up to me and say "i love your dreads, but i wouldn't get dreads because i like to change my hair too much" .. You can do more with dreads than people know.. If you have wispy tips you can curl your ends, or straighten them, or whatever! .. Playing with styles and different ways to wear your locks is the fun part! So yes you can do a lot with dreads, like regular hair.. Deciding to dread your hair should be a personal choice, not something you are talked into.. But the rewards are endless indeed! and don't listen to myths you hear!!!

updated by @cecelia-fae: 01/13/15 09:28:44PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

All very true. The most common question I get is how I wash my hair. No one has yet say it in a derogatory way, but it comes up now and then as a curiosity statement.

Many people know that there is a messy stage and are just not willing to put up with it

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the i lkike to change my haitr things funny cause dreads are a;lways changing...themselves..even daily

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I had one lock that is way mature. It was the only lock that was skinny enough to fit this awesome mushroom bead on, but thick enough that it would stay on. One day I washed them. When they dried I was suddenly to fat and now I have to wait till another opportunity pops up to wear that bead. It sucks, cause I loved it so much

Cecelia Fae
@cecelia-fae
12 years ago
19 posts

i agree! dreads are ever changing.. but a lot of people believe that if they get dreads they can only wear their hair a certain way and that is it.. not true at all! Also a lot of people ask me how did you put up with not washing your hair to get it dreaded.. i'm like wait i did wash my hair, lol and still do!! ... people should get more educated on dreadlocks before making such statements to us dread heads .. :)

Baba Fats said:

I had one lock that is way mature. It was the only lock that was skinny enough to fit this awesome mushroom bead on, but thick enough that it would stay on. One day I washed them. When they dried I was suddenly to fat and now I have to wait till another opportunity pops up to wear that bead. It sucks, cause I loved it so much

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You can't blame them for not being educated about it. I don't know much of anything about other hair styles. I don't even know what it means to layer hair. Should people get mad or annoyed with me because I don't know about their hair style?

What you have to do as someone with locks is to be calm and patient and simply educate them. Start slow. Tell them that you wash and how often. Tell them that if left alone, locks form on their own. Don't getoverlyzealous about this. Some people aren't ready to hear that, and will shut down right away and nothing you say after that will sink in.

Stay calm and stick to the very basics. If they want to hear more, they will ask. If not, then at least they know a few things they didn't before and can go away a little more educated. In time they will be ready to hear more details about locks.

The main thing is to not go into too much detail right away. Just inform them that they are clean and natural. But stress that they are clean. Don't even go into the fact that waxy locks aren't very clean. Keep the conversation about yours. That give them something to visualize on while you are talking to them.

Cecelia Fae
@cecelia-fae
12 years ago
19 posts

Yes this is all very true, maybe if the dread heads keep an open mind of other peoples curiosity than more people will start to be educated about dreads.. yes patience is the key! and i must admit sometimes my patience wears thin.. but through patience and understanding more people will learn what dreads are really about, and start possibly ignoring the myths they hear! This is an awesome possibility!! :)
Baba Fats said:

You can't blame them for not being educated about it. I don't know much of anything about other hair styles. I don't even know what it means to layer hair. Should people get mad or annoyed with me because I don't know about their hair style?

What you have to do as someone with locks is to be calm and patient and simply educate them. Start slow. Tell them that you wash and how often. Tell them that if left alone, locks form on their own. Don't getoverlyzealous about this. Some people aren't ready to hear that, and will shut down right away and nothing you say after that will sink in.

Stay calm and stick to the very basics. If they want to hear more, they will ask. If not, then at least they know a few things they didn't before and can go away a little more educated. In time they will be ready to hear more details about locks.

The main thing is to not go into too much detail right away. Just inform them that they are clean and natural. But stress that they are clean. Don't even go into the fact that waxy locks aren't very clean. Keep the conversation about yours. That give them something to visualize on while you are talking to them.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Exactly. When I tell people to be patient about their locks, I don't just mean about letting them form and grow. Patience is needed is dealing with an ignorant populous too. The great thing about learning patience in regards to letting your hair do it's own thing is that it also lets you learn outward patience as well

Cecelia Fae
@cecelia-fae
12 years ago
19 posts

:)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form