dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New Here and Starting Dreading

Dave Bowley
@dave-bowley
12 years ago
6 posts

Hi guys,

Been reading these forums since last night and found a whole heap of information. A little about me: I'm a 25 year old man living in the UK, and I've been wanting to get dreads for a good couple of years now.

Until last night I thought there were 2 ways it could be done: either go to a salon (can't afford) or get one of these dread kits and get a friend to help me (takes a long time to do). Then last night I read about the rip-offs that are dread kits and waxes etc so I'm really glad I've found this site before buying one!

I'm going to be going the Freeform/Neglect route, just separating and washing and we'll see what happens. I'm a little concerned about "just leaving it" because I went that route one time. I wasn't trying to get dreads at the time, but I didn't bother cutting or doing anything with my hair for about 3-4 years - and I don't ever remember having dreads! I have a theory that because I also didn't wash my hair nor did I separate it that it may have been dreading but just turning into massive congos - when I did it eventually cut it off it was in big matted clumps so I'm thinking maybe not separating it did that.

Here's a picture of how I looked back then just before I had it cut:

I really don't want to wait 4 years and have it looking like that again - I would prefer to have more recognisable dreads.

I may make a timeline up with some pictures/video once I get started so people can see my progress. Wish me luck!

Dave

updated by @dave-bowley: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

looks like it was dreading into big ol clumps

if u wash right and seperate that hair should dread fast as hell

but

if that was 4 years growth it startedshoe=rt huh and thats why it took awhile u needed the length to start them dreading

how longs it now?

really glad you didnt do the salon or kit disaster

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dave Bowley
@dave-bowley
12 years ago
6 posts

Thanks for the reply :)

Just taken a shot of the front and back now:

I've got lots of little bits of matted hair which I think are the "baby dreads". Earlier on I did some separating cos they were starting to go down the massive clumps way again. Hoping this goes well, it's just hard to believe that it's so easy to dread my hair when I've believed for ages I need to get a pro to do it.

updated by @dave-bowley: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

nothing is easier to do lol

my 1st set tho i didnt know to seperate and ended up with 2 horns and a beavertail pu]illow behind my neck

a few others around byut the whole top pulled into the horns..lol

2nd time around i seperatedbut all i did to dreadwas go camping a couple weeks

and this was the results

and to think salons charge up to 800 doollars to give you an inferiur version of dreads

thencharge 50 every couple weeks to maintain them

when all u gotta do is nothing at all

(except avoid salons and kits)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

In the picture you posted, it looks like it was dreading, just probably that you didn't separate them, so just make sure you do that this time around when they start dreading and it should be cool. Glad you found this site before you bought one of those dread kits :) lucky escape.

Jackie C.
@jackie-c
12 years ago
34 posts
Welcome! I bet it will dread fast! :)
Dave Bowley
@dave-bowley
12 years ago
6 posts

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :-)

Dislike 0

Tags