Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Cut them off - want again

Maria Blaszak
@maria-blaszak
12 years ago
6 posts

I am sick!! I had long dreadlocks for EIGHT years and i cut them off for a guy and soon after he dumped me! They were past my shoulders and now i'm sick. I cut them in half, and my girlfriend spent nine hours combing the rest out using oil, mayo and hair conditioner. (the guy didn't like them and i was under his spell and so wanted to look "normal" for him.) I lost some hair and my hair is thinner now and not as thick as it was when i first started 8 yrs ago. I want to do dreads again. I tried doing it 2 wks ago and only ended up having 12 locks. I was thinking of maybe doing them real skinny and i'd have more then? My hair is very straight and thin as i am polish. Can i do them again with less hair? Or will it look stupid? Should i go to a hair salon or do it myself? I was thinking of maybe just braiding real skinny braids and then letting the rest at the top dread on it's own. Is there hope for me or should i just forget it? I am older, but i LOVE locks!!!

updated by @maria-blaszak: 02/14/15 09:48:46AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

do not go to a salon! very very bad idea

letthem dread themselves or use twist n rip and do em a micx of thin and thick but mostlythin

how did u try to do them

and never evgfer evger cut your dreads for a guy

]if he didjt like thenmhe didnt like you

they wre a psart of you

he only wanted to control what you do

your better off without guys like that

so

stop combing and let it dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Maria Blaszak
@maria-blaszak
12 years ago
6 posts

Hi. Thanks for replying. Glad you told me not to go to a salon cuz i was gonna. Thinking of letting it dread naturally, but not sure since it takes so long and i am so impatient now. Mine were beautiful. I think you mean twist and rip once they start dreading on their own? My hair tangles very easily so it might work. I am not sure if i will back comb or do it naturally. I'm gonna wash my hair tonite and just let it tangle for a fewdays and then decide if i'm gonna back comb. I had to use rubber bands for a whole yr the last time. I don't like them and yeah they got all gummy and stuck in my hair. My girlfriend stood on her feet for nine hours to take em out. I can't get a pic on here doesn't work for some reason. I do have pics on www.plentyoffish.com you can look at. I am hilltopwoman on there too. I'm sick when i look at the pics and now see my short straight hair! Yeah., like i said i backcombed them at first and it took a good yr before they looked good. Yeah, this guy was very controlling., was passive/aggressive. Stay away from those guys/girls big time! They are so sweet, quiet, never yell, but when they are mad they never tell ya, and then they do things behind your back to "punish" you. I am glad he's gone. So i am gonna start my hair tonite. Anyone on here have real straight hair and do dreads? How did it come out? When i first did them 8 yrs ago my hair was thicker and longer, but now i lost some hair when my friend pulled em out. I am in my mid 40's but i don't care i still love dreads, and all the younger people think i am real kool for having them. I am sick of combing my hair and losing hair on the hair brush!!

soaring eagle said:

do not go to a salon! very very bad idea

letthem dread themselves or use twist n rip and do em a micx of thin and thick but mostlythin

how did u try to do them

and never evgfer evger cut your dreads for a guy

]if he didjt like thenmhe didnt like you

they wre a psart of you

he only wanted to control what you do

your better off without guys like that

so

stop combing and let it dread

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

backcomb would do more harm then good you say it tangles real easy so natural should not take long at all

most are amazed how fast it dreads naturally

sometimes days (unusual) weeks (not uncommon) average a couple months

typicaly thers not alot of difference whether u backcomb or not

twist and rip is much gentler if u dont go natural it works better then backcomb and less damage to the hair

i would definitely give natural a shot se how it goes and if its not dreading then try tnr

--
Maria Blaszak
@maria-blaszak
12 years ago
6 posts

Well, i couldn't wait. I am obsessed with dreads. I washed my hair, chin length. Used the bs and acv, but i think i did it wrong! I mixed them both in a small bucket, let it foam up, then added lots of water and i used it for a rinse. I washed first. I had some left over dreadheadhq and i also have dr. bonners i used too. Then i let it all dry. Was gonna leave it like that to dread naturally, but i just couldn't wait so i figured i would just take one or two and make a little dread here and there. I just sectioned it all off and just put a rubber band at the very top of the root and i guess they are a half inch wide cuz i have very thin baby fine hair and especially since i lost some hair when the original dreads were taken out. So i ended up doing my whole head. I said, what the heck, why not? I got about 17 now. My hair is very clean and sorta flyaway cuz it's dry in the house. I could either leave em like that and let the hair dread or i can backcomb and do it that way which would make em shorter. Not sure yet. I think i will leave it for a few days and see what happens. The one reason i am considering backcombing is cuz since my house is cold i need to wear a knit hat most of the time - 62 in here....and i just read that wearing a hat will take a long time to dread up. So should i backcomb or will it dread on it's own even tho i have one little rubber band at the very top of the root - to keep em separated. What's best?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

take out the rubber bands u never want rubber bands 'and u do not mix bs and acv

that causes a chemical reaction u dont want it creates a completely diferent chemical then you want u want baking soda..only

then rinse that out then do the acg =]v seperately

uif they foam you have neither baking soda or acv left

so never mix them!

just let it dread but no rubber bands!

if you get impatient tnr not backcomb

backcomb is too damaging for your already fragile hair

the best thing you can do..let it section and dread itself

if yiou cant wait a week to see if it dreads in a week then twist and rip 1 dread a day as they section

but u may find the 1st natural dread in the 2nd week and decide to let em all dread natural then

--
Maria Blaszak
@maria-blaszak
12 years ago
6 posts

Ok....I will take the rubber bands out today. Looks sort of stupid anyway with all these little pony tails. I will just have to wait for my hair to dread on its own. It's sort of exciting cuz i never went "natural" before. This will be the 3rd time i did dreads. The first time i did them they were in for 6 months and i took em out again for another guy and said i would never do that again. The second time they stayed in for 8 yrs and i fell so hard for this other guy that i took em out again when he didn't like them. He's gone for good now and so are my beautiful dreads....so now i start again from scratch! Still, a little exciting. I see all these pics of dreads and are most of them done the natural way? Let ya know how it goes in a week....gonna be funny tho cuz i gotta visit someone in jail and they won't let ya wear a hat so they will see my messy UNcombed hair now and I DON'T CARE!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

more then 1/2 are natural mine are

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Maria Blaszak
@maria-blaszak
12 years ago
6 posts

Hey...is that a Madunga drum? Looks like one. Can't spell it tho. I used to visit the Hari Krishna temple long ago and they had one of those. I love harmonium too and cartels!!! I miss the chants!!! Didn't do nothin to my hair today. Disappointed., too soft and not tangled, but it's only one day and i don't have patience. I'll wait a week or two. Thanks for replying.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

nah its an east african djimbe

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form