Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Want to dread my hair for the first time

Tina Robinson
@tina-robinson
12 years ago
5 posts

Names Tina. I have always wanted to dread my hair and after much reading and research Im actually going to do it. Im a little worried about it tho because I have very thin hair easy to breakage, and since dreads are techincally knoting your hair Im a little worried I might ruin it. Also Im trying to figure out the best method. I was thinking twist and rip, because i feel like i would have more control over the size of the dreads. Any tips and or suggestions would be really helpful! Thanks.

updated by @tina-robinson: 01/13/15 09:17:19PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you're so worried about breaking your hair. I'd just go with the neglect method. It takes a little long, and you'll probably get some resistance from people on the street, but it's the most healthy way to do it. TnR is a close second, but any time you mess with your hair, you are damaging thefollicles.

Obviously, find a good residue free shampoo. use liquid until they really start to separate and mature. Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar is good and easy. Dreadlockshampoo.com has a great selection as well. Wash 2-3 times a week. When they're young, just shake the water out, maybe squeeze in a towel and let air dry. Never rub your head with the towel. It undoes knots that are trying to form.

A sea salt/water spray can help speed knotting up. but wash it out within the same day. I'd even say a few hours.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

id also recomend natural but tnr isnt a bad choice just do it gently not too tight

why would u want to contriol the sizes besides keeping em from getting too big?

they look best all diferent sizes

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Chii Rising
@chii-rising
12 years ago
13 posts

Speaking as someone who has fairly thin, fine hair, I understand the logic behind twist & rip. Going natural/neglect, as far as my experience has shown, seems to make the locks a lot heavier & wider at the bottom than at the top, creating an unstable "root system" for the lock to grow off of - at least for a hair texture like mine; I do know the natural method looks great on most people.

Does anyone have any theories about this? And, how much damage IS really caused by going twist & rip? When your hair is thin, it is crucial to avoid as much breakage as possible, so when do you know you've done too much?

<3ChiiRising

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you tnr loosely, not much damage. It's not great, but if done right you're pretty much fine. What you have to worry about is that if you pull taught on your hair follicles, you can do some decent damage where they don't want to grow correctly. You can even end up pulling them completely out. Your hair wont grow evenly and your roots will be damaged from the start. as it grows, you'll have little pockets where the lock is weaker than the rest.

I'd just be careful and don't pull tight when you do it

Tina Robinson
@tina-robinson
12 years ago
5 posts

Wow I wasn't expecting so much feedback so fast! this is great! thanks for the help its def appreciated!

Tina Robinson
@tina-robinson
12 years ago
5 posts

how much length will I loose by dreading my hair? Also whats the easiest best way to keep frizzies down? I realize its gunna take a while for them to tighten up.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

most people loose between 1/3 and 1/2 of their original length.

No reason to keep the frizzies at bay unless you have somewhere to go like a wedding or such. Then you can use 100% aloe and take just a little and palm roll it onto each lock. As it dries it shrinks and pulls int those frizzies. But again, there's no real need to do anything. Those loose hairs get tangled and pulled into the lock helping tighten them and give them moregirth

Tina Robinson
@tina-robinson
12 years ago
5 posts

I live in a college dorm so I dont have plants. Is there a company that has something that contains 100% aloe?

Baba Fats said:

No reason to keep the frizzies at bay unless you have somewhere to go like a wedding or such. Then you can use 100% aloe and take just a little and palm roll it onto each lock. As it dries it shrinks and pulls int those frizzies. But again, there's no real need to do anything. Those loose hairs get tangled and pulled into the lock helping tighten them and give them moregirth

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

lily of the dessert

Tina Robinson said:

I live in a college dorm so I dont have plants. Is there a company that has something that contains 100% aloe?

Baba Fats said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form