Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Love and peace from me to you.

Dave Waters
@dave-waters
13 years ago
2 posts

It is finally time for me to write a little about myself and my dreads.

I have wanted to dread my hair for some time now and have always been working in places that wouldn't accept it so it kind of got put on the backburner. I have since quit my job and have gone travelling for a year in New Zealand. As this was a year for journeying I thought I may as well start my own dread journey too.

I hadn't done much research into how to get dread I just knew, 'separate and backcomb'. So with much persuasion, willing hands were on call to spend hours on a rainy day in a hostel in Dunedin and I had myself some pretty decent looking dreads.

Now over three wonderful months the dreads have come loose, fallen out, tightened up, knotted together, come apart and have generally been wonderfully interesting. I have taken to root rubbing (mostly because it has become really relaxing) and the occasional rolling of a dread in my hands if it starts getting a bit fluffy.

I have naturally dead straight hair that doesn't knot easily so getting them to actually dread has been quite a mission. No wax has been used though. Thanks to this site I found out about salt water in a spray bottle and that has helped massive amounts. I should only need to use it for a couple more months then it can do what it likes (the hair I mean, not the salt spray).

I will be updating my profile with occasional info about travels and my dreads if anyone is interested in my dreads growth.

Stay happy always :)

updated by @dave-waters: 01/13/15 09:16:12PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

this is great. glad you decided to share with us. I always wanted to go backpackng around New Zealand. It seems like such a beautiful place.

Be careful when you root rub. I do it too cause it is relaxing, but it's really not good for your locks or scalp. 1: it can cause hairs to break creating a weak spot in the dread. This takes ages to heal itself if it ever does. 2: root rubbing is like taking sand paper and rubbing it against your skin. It can cause sores to form on your scalp. That's no fun, cause then you have an open sore that it really hard to treat.

Like I said, I do it to, so I might not be to person to listen to, but I felt like I should pass on a little advice from someone with experience

Cliff Loc*head
@cliff-lochead
13 years ago
21 posts

Hey man, welcome to NZ. Im in Christchurch, let me know if ya make it up this way. If ya wanna check out some cool sights then head over to the West Coast if ya get a chance. Catch ya

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

well ::shifty eyes:: I'm not there yet. I have my honey moon to do this coming summer, and we're still deciding on where to go. Peru looks like the winner for now. But that's like 6 months away. New Zealand would be great too

Dave Waters
@dave-waters
13 years ago
2 posts

In Nelson for the rest of summer then heading to South East Asia. Would have been cool to get a tour from a fellow dreadhead. Hope you're staying safe and not getting affected by the quakes.

Cliff Loc*head said:

Hey man, welcome to NZ. Im in Christchurch, let me know if ya make it up this way. If ya wanna check out some cool sights then head over to the West Coast if ya get a chance. Catch ya

Cliff Loc*head
@cliff-lochead
13 years ago
21 posts

Sweet, great spot up there. You will meet many dreadies for sure and should be a few good gigs on too. Kinda used to the quakes now, have been a few in the last week or so. They have been going on for over a year now.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form