Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why do backcomb dreads seem to mature so much faster?

Premo
@premo
11 years ago
30 posts

I'm 2 weeks away from 5 months into my journey. I started with a very little bit of backcomb, but mostly twist and rip - within a couple weeks all but 4 or so came COMPLETELY undone. And really to this day, I've seen very minor sectioning, which my hair has always kind of done anyways so I don't really count it towards the dread process in my particular case.

I've watched pretty much every dread video, of every kind of method that I could find on youtube. And it seems to me people who went the backcomb method have a lot faster progress..hell, I'll settle for any progress at this point. I am seriously considering going the backcomb route now. I've given my hair enough time to give me a little something to let me know it's on the right track, but I'm really not satisfied at all. What is it about the backcomb method that makes dreads form faster? I know it's false progress in the beginning, but every backcomb video I've seen where they are at the 5 month mark, they are looking pretty good. And I'm still looking like day 1.

I know nature knows best, and natural is best..but I think sometimes nature forgets that we have smaller lifespans than it does.

updated by @premo: 01/13/15 09:54:29PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I don't want to make a blanket statement about everyone who back combed, but I'd venture to guess than many of those people reback comb every time their hair comes undone a bit. So in reality, they may have started locks 5 months ago, if they stopped back combing completely, they'd see those locks unravel all over again, and they wouldn't be as far progressed as they think they are, or as they make you think they are.

That's a gross simplification of the situation.

Back combed locks start off looking much more mature than TnR or natural locks. So when you see a video of someone who back combs, there's no real way of knowing if their timeline is actually what they say it is.

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

When you back comb you r pushing or bunching all the hair up so its thicker rather than longer, so what happens is you loose length but get the thickness of mature dreads, so as your naturl dread grows from the roots it doesn't look that much different thean the back combed part of the dreads. When you have done the t&r method that stays thinner looking and doesn't match as well as backcombed, so it SEEMS like they are maturing faster but in reality it just matched up better, but of course you have given up the length for that to happen. When you do the natural way you always have some degree of shrinkage in length.

Hope this clarifies the answer for you.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form