Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads & racism

☮Tex☮
@tex
13 years ago
15 posts
I would have to agree with you there, maybe i said it was racist before really thinking that it may be personal taste. I do believe it was a bit "out of line" to say but nonetheless

Jdwood said:
Tex I am the same I love dreads and people with dreads and I do not even believe in the concept of race..IMO it is and old outdated concept based onignoranceand hate but the way I understood the comment was just someonedescribingpersonaltaste the person said that in their opinion onegroupof people looked better then the other the person did not say thattheothergrouplooked bad just onelookedbetter..I don't know maybe I am to naive andtolerantto see racism in the comment...it's almost impossible to tell what some one is really thinking through acomputerscreen

updated by @tex: 07/09/15 11:39:19AM
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

I guess I'm getting back into this.

But because i don't actually want to discuss the construct of "race I'm just going to ask: Don't you think that in a discussion regarding the inherent racism of our culture and how it pertains to dreadlocks, thatforcing a definition (or rather, the denial of a definition?) of the word "race" is kind of counter productive? Like, dude, you are missing the point.

Also...seriously, you're going to compare the the idea of racial tension to having red hair? Your argument is lost on me because of it's sheer ludicracy.

One more thing, it's only a question of personal taste if your personal taste is racist. So I guess that makes the person that said "white people look betterwith dreads than black people" is a racist. But no offense. Even though I may have said some offensive things, I totally didn't mean to offend anyone (I hope you get that I am trying to make a point)
Jdwood said:

Humm I can see why some one might see this has "racist" but I think this is just a question of personal taste oropinion. For example if some one would say " I do not think red heads look good with dreads" would this be considered "racist"? Now some might say that red hairedpeopleare not a "race" but once again I must ask the question how does one define race?I agree that the comment maybe lacks a bit of maturity (no offence ) but having anopinionon looks is not being "racist". Racism in myopinionisbelievingthat there is such a thing as race when it comes tohumans. Sorry for going off topic.

Tex said:
Wow someone here actually said white people look better with dreads and in the same breath said they are not racist? Where do you live where "black" people would yell at you for having your hair in a certain fashion? No matter how you try to jewel it up, saying that ANY race looks better with something is completely ridiculous. How can you judge an entire race simply on a hair style and say that NO ONE in that race looks good like this?

Thundersquall said:
White people do not look better with dreads. Black people do not look better with dreads. It is the "individual" that looks better with dreads. You dig what i am saying.

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

In my opinion, "white" people look better with dreads. I dont't know why. I'm not racist at all. I love everyone all the same, but I think it's because I see more caucasion people with dreads than african americans. Since mine are babies, I'm afraid of "black" people coming up to me and yelling at me for having them. Especially at school. I just did them so no one at school has seen me yet (kids at my high school are so bad. They will make fun of you over the littlest things). But yeah. I don't know what it is with people though. I guess since african americans think it's "their hairstyle" that they need to defend it? I don't know though. Everyone's different. Love and harmony to you all <3

Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts
Lu A don't worry I do not get offended very easily and I do not find what you say offensive. First "race" is not clearly defined. Here in North America we have one kind of definition. We mostly base our definitions on skin color (and Continental origin). Why is that so different then hair color? it's just as stupid its just a variation in the species be it hair skin or eyes. Our culture makes a big deal about it but I refuse to be imposed a culture I chose my own. If you want to believe in the concept of race go ahead but why should I accept it. It is not me that is forcing anything it is the rest of society. Second just look at how races are defined in other countries. Take Rwanda as an example Tutsi and Hutu are they really two distinct races? Race It's all about belief not facts just like religion.
Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts

To continue my point...racial tension as you say exist in our society because a lot people believe that skin color makes ahuman being inherently different to an other. Is there really a difference? Maybetoleranceto UV rays but that's all. I find making a big deal out of skin color really stupid that is why I compared it to hair color do you understand?It does not change who you are only how others mightperceiveyou because of theoutdatedbeliefs in our society. Perpetuating the idea of race perpetuatesracism. I find discussions on race very similar todiscussionson religion. Example, "you can't have anabortionbecause I believe in god"

---but I don't

---It does not matter because I believe in god so I must force my belief on you

Do you see the similarities? "you can't have dreads because your white"

----I don't believe in the concept of race

----It does not matter because I do so I must force my belief on you.

lunn
@lunn
13 years ago
22 posts
Ive had dreads most of my life in some shape or form and had shit from white and black folks and nice comments from both it depends on the person i think not the skin colour,i found the best thing to do if they keep giving you shit, is to stomp there head the shit tends to stop.
Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
13 years ago
25 posts

All the negative compliments are bullshit. And like my frat brother always says "fuck the bullshit"...I like your dreads. You can add me to the list of black folks that have complimented them.

/ 7
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form