Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello :)

Kris3
@kris3
11 years ago
7 posts

Hi there everyone! just signed up to this beautiful site! unfortunately i am a victim of knotty boys wax method :( due to lack of information on the process of dreads i found the products at a piercingjewelry store and thought to myself " they sell them! so thats got to be the way to do them!" two weeks later i find this site and realize now what a gigantic mistake i made :( dreadlocks have always been something i've dreamed of having! i want them for life. instead of finally achieving this dream (as i thought i had) all i have gained is a nasty waxy mess and ill be honest i hate it :( it feels gross, it looks gross, and everything my hair touches turns instantly into a mess. im in need of some serious help and just by reading through the site i feel like i have found the right place to get that help. only problem is i do not even know where to begin. My apologies if this is not the place to discuss this but alas there is my introduction! i look very forward to chatting more with you all and hopefully someone can help me in achieving my dream of having nice healthy dreads instead of these nasty candle dreads i have now :(

updated by @kris3: 01/13/15 09:51:50PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

How old are they? If less than 1 month, it's going to be worth it to just wash out everything you've done, and start over. I know this sounds drastic, but the process of removing the wax will be aggressive enough that it will more than likely undo everything you have done already. So get a good, tough on grease, dish detergent (Dawn is best), or get the wax-b-gone from dreadlockshampoo.com (it's better than the dish soap). And start cleaning your locks. I can help you with some tips. Or check out the dreaducatin page for how to remove wax. You don't use the soap like a normal shampoo. You use it separately.

If you can brush out your locks, do so first. Then get a good clarifying shampoo and wash your hair with it a few times.

Kris3
@kris3
11 years ago
7 posts

they are only 2 weeks as of saturday so i have already made the decision to just completely wash them out and try again! its a very gross feeling having this wax crap in my hair (if only i had found this site 3 weeks ago!) thank you very much all the help i can get is much appreciated. i do have some questions though as i am completely new to all this. after i get the wax out will my hair be ready to go or is it going to take some time before i can start again? also with the wax out i can imagine my hair will still be tangled and messy from the back combing i endured. should i leave it like that or would it be better to brush it all out and literally start from scratch? the wax-b-gone sounds like a fantastic idea to me. since dreads have been a dream of mine for some time now that seems like the most effective way to correct my mistake considering how happy i was when i thought i finally had them! im eager to get going on my new journey! thanks again! you have been most helpful my friend :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Oh, I know it's gross. I used wax for my first set. I was told not to wash my hair for 2 months, and to add wax 2-3 times a week. When I finally did wash, my hair had rotted so bad that just the pressure from the water peeled 1/3 of my hair off. When I touched it, I ended up loosing 1/2 my hair.

Hopefully you haven't gotten that bad. I feel like that was a semi isolated case. But it can happen.

Did you back comb? If so, be prepared to lose some hair. It is natural to lose hair from back combed locks, because the process of back combing does conciderable damage. Don't freak out.

Yes, definitely brush them completely out. Any knots you leave can be perfect hiding places for left over wax and residue. Get all of the knots and tangles out, and start completely from scratch. You don't have to wait any specific length of time. But after you're done with the wax be gone, I'd still recommend getting a travel sized bottle of clarifying shampoo and washing 2-3 times with it. Don't bother with a normal sized bottle, because you don't need to use it much. And it should never be used on locks as your normal shampoo. A) it's toxic. But it's necessary for this purpose. B) it does leave a minor amount of residue of its own. So using it as a normal shampoo will cause problems for your locks down the line.

Dreadlockshampoo ships their stuff out really quick. If you buy it today, it'll more than likely be there by the weekend. But you should start to get it out now. Don't wait. For this, you can begin to brush out your hair, and try the clarifying shampoo. When the wax remover comes, switch to that.

Kris3
@kris3
11 years ago
7 posts

most excellent, you have been a great help i cant stress that enough. hearing all these different stories im glad i learned all this information before it was to far in. i shall get started right away!

Cheers :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form