dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Greetings!

RedHeadedStepChyld
@redheadedstepchyld
11 years ago
5 posts

Hello all!

You can call me RedHead. I started my dreads on the 17th and 18th of March, so they are only a few weeks old now.

Unfortunately I started them with some DreadHead HQ products (wax, locking accelerator, crochet needle, etc.) but since reading some of the posts on this site and seeing the results of your methods, I have been converted! I ordered some shampoo and wax remover from dreadlocksshampoo.com which I have been using for just a couple days now. Beyond the shampoo and wax remover I have been pretty much ignoring them, though I put a few (loose) rubber bands on some dreads to help hold them together.

Speaking of which, I have some concerns. My hair is pretty fine and straight and I have been loosing some of my dreads. Though I have been reading some of the posts on this site about how I need to just let them go, I am still concerned. In place of beads (or something similar) I put a rubber band on the disassembled dread, loose enough that I could slide it around, but tight enough that it won't fall off. Is there anything else I can do for the loose locks of hair?

Thanks for any help and I'm looking forward to the exciting journey with dreads,

RedHead

updated by @redheadedstepchyld: 01/13/15 09:50:49PM
RedHeadedStepChyld
@redheadedstepchyld
11 years ago
5 posts

Thanks for the reply, the welcome, and the advice Robyn! =)

Robyn said:

And WELCOME Redhead
RedHeadedStepChyld
@redheadedstepchyld
11 years ago
5 posts

Oh I forgot to ask. I've been using an elastic hairband to hold my dreads back (being about 2.5 - 4 inches long, they tend to stick straight out of my head otherwise), is this a good idea? I like it cause it kind of trains them which way to lay on my head as they do their own thing especially after a shower.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Welcome! If you're looking for a safe way to speed up the locking, using a sea salt/water spray will help. It's recommended that your spray be no more than 3.5% sea salt -- I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but it's done wonders for many people's hair here. :)

RedHeadedStepChyld
@redheadedstepchyld
11 years ago
5 posts

Thanks again Robyn, and thanks for the tip Laura. I've read a bit about sea salt/water sprays and I'll probably give them a try here soon.

RedHeadedStepChyld
@redheadedstepchyld
11 years ago
5 posts

Thanks Justin, that is very reassuring to hear!

Justin said:

Your hair sounds similar to mine. I know it can be unnerving at first when your new dreads start to unravel and it is normal to want to try and prevent that, but you must take out the bands and let them do what they want.

Robyn has given you some good advice about letting them hang and do their thing. You may think your training them but much like stubborn children, they are going to do what they want in the end. You can only love them and make sure they are well looked after.

They are going to get very loose before they start to lock up. I had about 10-15 come completely undone and they stayed that way for 3 months or more before starting to lock back up. It's all part of the journey and I think you'll appreciate how wild, free and most importantly, unique they will turn out if you just let them be.

Good luck on your journey and Welcome.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form