dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello there! At the very start of a (hopeful)long road

Catnip2
@catnip2
11 years ago
5 posts

Greetings,

I'm Caitlin, I'm 16 and I live in Scotland :)

I'd been thinking dreads were pretty awesome for ages but only in the last year did I seriously start thinking of getting them myself. And it's safe to say this website successfully saved me from a future of getting my hair crocheted when I leave home! And also enlightened me to a new way of thinking about a lot of things.

After watching the delightful video and feeling all inspired and spirited, I decided there and then - that was it - and put my hair brush out of sight and mind. Since then I haven't missed struggling every morning to make my parting straight or fussing over what the weather did to my hair(how liberating!). I've found that washing with bicarb really is a good plan compared with more chemically options . And over the last week and a bit I have developed three distinctly knotty bundles that I am overly excited about(haha) toward the back of my head and the whole thing is getting very gradually more fuzzy and messy in all the best ways.

This all sounds great and I really am very happy with it BUT my parents are still, as of yet, unawares of the whole operation.

I wasn't so sure to start with so I didn't say anything or join the forum until I gave it a fair trail period - I obviously now don't want to go back. My parents(especially mother), like most, aren't so fond of dreads and the like. I was well aware of this on starting and knew there was going to be an argument but I honestly thought it would all be shot down fairly quickly. My mum commented in casual conversation that I will need my hair cut soon and I can think of nothing else that I would hate more right now then to go to a hairdressers and get my hair brutally brushed and straighten and coated in nasty stuff. Not to mention the surprise they would get from the frightfully matted sections. I know I can't do it - It feels like spiritual oppression on so many levels.

But we are gonna end up having this conversation fairly soon and I really don't know the outcome. I think I may be able to bring her round but on the other hand she may totally blow up about it and we've never really had a proper disagreement like what I'm imagining here. I feel like I should be responsible of my own self and decisions these days and I feel very strongly for what I have chosen here. Yet my parents are my parents and is it worth the strife? or am I worrying over nothing?

I guess I'm really looking for tips/advice from those who have been through the same and maybe a few prayers! ;)

Blessed Be x

updated by @catnip2: 01/13/15 09:50:28PM
Catnip2
@catnip2
11 years ago
5 posts

Thank you! I hadn't noticed the search bar amongst the adds ;; - show you how observant I am lol

Some great information from so many kind people :)

Robyn said:

Soaring Eagle...the creater of the site has created a few letters to parents about dreads. Might help if your mom decides to be very stubborn :) maybe search up top "letter to parent's" :/ if Im wrong on that someone will correct me and direct you in the right direction hehe sorry Im on my phone and cant look from here. Good luck darlin and do what is best for you! Lots of love and positive thoughts for you
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form