Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Should I cut my hair to start short before I dread?

Alexxys Adkison
@alexxys-adkison
11 years ago
3 posts

I hope that I am posting this is the right spot. I'm still trying to get a feel for this website. I am SUPER interested in dreadlocks. I go to college and have plenty of time that I could just let my hair do what it wants. I am very interested in the natural method.

I am curious though.. if dreads will grow faster and develop faster if I start with shorter hair. I have had like a "fohawk" before, so I am not really scared of cutting my hair. But maybe I am thinking the complete opposite of the truth. Maybe having long hair allows it to knot up and stuff faster? I think the journey will be good. I am still learning a lot about dreadlocks (mostly from this site).

I am such a relaxed person and before now, never even considered dreadlocks. I didn't really ever take notice of them. But I have such a "surfer" personality.. even though I live in Indiana (hah). I just think that the hair would flow with me and grow with me as I walk the earth everyday. Let me know what you think!

I have attached a picture of what I look like now. If I need to cut any of it, let me know. Or if I just need to start now, say so! Thanks!

-Alexxys

updated by @alexxys-adkison: 01/13/15 09:50:08PM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

They won't dread faster, just that there will be less hair to dread, and there will probably be less shrinking. Personally, I wouldn't see the point in cutting your hair before you start, but if you do, don't do it too short, as hair can't naturally dread until it's about 4-6 inches long, I think.

NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

Hello :D. I would personally not cut my hair if I were you. Your hair is at a beautiful length right now and I think starting to dreadlock your hair at its current length would be a fantastic idea.I think your hair would lock beautifully at the length it is right now.. :D I wish you much love and peace in your dreadlocking journey, as well as your personal journeys.

Alexxys Adkison
@alexxys-adkison
11 years ago
3 posts

Okay thanks!

matt krantzberg
@matt-krantzberg
11 years ago
20 posts
I wouldn't cut it. I personally don't like short dreads. I grew my hair out for like 5 years before I started to dread it. I wish I would have started a little sooner than 5 years, my hair was about at my waist. but I've had my dreads for a little over a year an a half and they have matured pretty fast in my opinion.
Alexxys Adkison
@alexxys-adkison
11 years ago
3 posts

Alright! Thanks for the encouragement!

NaturalDreads01 said:

Hello :D. I would personally not cut my hair if I were you. Your hair is at a beautiful length right now and I think starting to dreadlock your hair at its current length would be a fantastic idea.I think your hair would lock beautifully at the length it is right now.. :D I wish you much love and peace in your dreadlocking journey, as well as your personal journeys.

Call Tucker
@call-tucker
11 years ago
27 posts

keep in mind that for about an entire year, as your dread matures, they will most likely stay the same length. dreads make your hair shrink, and combined with new hair growth, they usually remain the same length for the first year. I have even seen some people who have lost two or three inches in a year, and never cut their hair. but congrats on starting this journey, if you maintain the patience needed you will be very happy with the results! good luck!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form