Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Getting a bit frustrated and needing help!

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

i have a video with a few different ways to wrap on my page. i avoid wool because wool will felt & shrink (can strangle your dreadies or get felted into the knotting hair) plus it can start to smell badly quickly. most use embroidery thread or hemp but i've heard ppl having issues with those as well. cotton seems like it might be a good option.

Vanessa Ashley said:

As for the wrapping make sure you do the criscross that way the locks can move around as they need to to lock. I normally use cotton string, but I've heard that wool is better. take a long piece and fold it, make a knot at the top, I normally do it near the root, about an inch down, knot once and then one more. Then just criscross XXXXXXX down to where you want it. then I normally knot it a few times. You can always check youtube. There are some good vids on there for decorating your locks!

Renee Stewart said:

Thank you so much for the support and advice. It is nice to hear someone else has re-done their ends and not suffered for it. I will try not to do it so much! They actually do fall out, though! I am really not doing this just to look the same in a year. I also did it so that I would NOT have to mess with my hair all the time! I was sick to death of curling, blowing dry, fluffing, spraying, etc. and still not being happy with the way my hair looked. It is so fine it would fall flat in an hour anyway! I have loved dreads for a few years and finally decided to go for it. I already tried your advice of putting some beads in - I hope that helps. Seems like a good idea. I also need to look up how to wrap dreads, because I've been wanting to do that, too, and it might help, or at least keep me from messing with the wrapped ones, ha ha! If you don't mind, please do let me know how the locking spray works; I was thinking of buying some too. Thanks again for taking the time to listen, understand, and help out!

Vanessa Ashley said:

apart from the dandruff, I have almost all the same things going on. I do re tnr the ends as well... I had let them be for a week or so, but they were almost completely undoing. I found that if I redid them they did lock up. for me personally. I only leave the ACV for like second then wash it out. I found that this way my hair doesn't get too silky. I use tea tree in the BS wash, and lavander in the ACV. I have been lucky not to have dandruff or too much itching. But I have very oily hair... Sometimes I even BS twice if needed. Second one leave on less time and use less water.I am waiting to get my locking shampoo (liquid) and the locking spray... I'll let you know if it seems to help, once I get them! all the best!

I too have been obsessing, but do try to remember to just let them be! I have noticed that the majority of the ones that are loosening at the roots have been re-locking, slowly but surely. But re-tnring the ends hasn't seemed to keep them from locking better or worse. I about a month and 1/2 in.... Also I have found the ones that have beads in them don't seem to loosen up. try putting some beads in them. ;)

updated by @ixchel: 07/23/15 04:47:31PM
Vanessa Ashley
@vanessa-ashley
11 years ago
6 posts

Good to know! I had heard that wool was good. Glad I've been using the cotton then! (as I can't seem to find my hemp :( ... )

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

i've known some people that have used it without complaints, but in my experience there were better options. you could give it a go & see how it works for you

Vanessa Ashley said:

Good to know! I had heard that wool was good. Glad I've been using the cotton then! (as I can't seem to find my hemp :( ... )

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

hi hun, yea cut back on all the things ur doing all of it at once will surely dry out ur scalp lil too much. and make sure u rinse ou the sea salt spray at least in the same day. bein sure not to spray ur roots an scalp as it will dry u out too much as well. and i also use Zum bar soaps on my body an face u dont even need much to be clean so maybe not get as sudsy as u like. and yes i believe the goats milk an other softening properties of the Zum bar will leave a lil residue in dreads over time tho. they do smell good an leave skin soft, but yea was meant for natural soap for skin only pretty much. try to cut back to washing ur dreads once every 3 days only massaging fingertips on scalp and softly apply the soap on dreads no scrubing ect. rinse well. try cut back all ur cleaning methods start fresh just one time cleaning an a deep clean once a month like bs wash or acv. ull figure out how to balance them in time goodluck happy dreading an also its normal for the tnr to come out a lil before dread knots tightening up. peace :)

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form