Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dying Cultures?

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

I would hope that they are evolving more than dying. My last name is from a Pictish Scottish culture that has very little written history about it but I do know where it comes from and what they believed and practiced and I will always embrace what I can from my families history.

updated by @james-turk: 07/23/15 05:02:12PM
Manj
@manj
12 years ago
18 posts

yeh, to me i see the traditional wedding ceremonies and songs we sing during that time fading away.
Out of 4 or 5 families only a few parents know what to do and what to sing...maybe they should give us younger folk some lessons hehe. Maybe you could try to find out more about your history and then pass that knowledge around or even write about...whats to stop you or anyone!

Baba Fats, Its not just a consumer culture It is about the traditional ceremonies, songs dance stories where there is no materialisticpossessionsinvolved and their practises within these groups, people share information about them and that is a great advantage of what we have developed in technology but it would be a shame to just forget it all and let it end up on a screen or at amuseumrather than when its apart of the moving world. I guess you cant change the direction of a flowing river

James Turk said:

I would hope that they are evolving more than dying. My last name is from a Pictish Scottish culture that has very little written history about it but I do know where it comes from and what they believed and practiced and I will always embrace what I can from my families history.

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Good idea, I think I'll do that!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Well, as much as I hate pop music, that has become part of our culture. We live in a pop culture (not just with music). Unfortunately our culture changes more rapidly that it used to. I can't stand my heritage, so that might make me bias.

But you're right, Manj, we can't change the direction of a river. It keeps moving forward. It's not that culture is dying. It's just that the old cultures are disappearing. But new ones are popping up all over. And I think that it's better for the world as a whole to have these new cultures more wide spread. As we become more and more in touch with each other, the less we have to argue about. People will always have their differences, but if you can talk about them in open forums every day instead of it taking weeks or months to communicate, the easier it will be to bring peace.

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Very good points Baba, I agree completely. And yes Pop music sucks!!! If it wasn't for autotune 75% of the people out there would still be working stiffs like us.

Idefinitelythink that ways of communication helps to reach more people but I feel like the relationships have weakened. For instance, yesterday my niece born at noon, her dad just sent my wife a text to tell her, instead of taking the extra step to call. My wife doesn't get text's so she went almost the entire day not knowing she had a new niece. The way we found out was on Facebook! I know not everyone is guilty of this poor communication, but a lot are. I called to congratulate them and they seemed so surprised that they were getting an actual phone call. I know how busy it is when the kids are born, but a phone call takes no longer that a text in my opinion and means so much more.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I don't know. I hate phones. I don't even answer when my parents call me. my cell acts more like a fancy watch. I don't like texting, either, but at least with that, you can answer on your own time. But I agre, when something big like that happens the least you can do is call.

And 99% of the world are still working stiffs. That's what's wrong with the world. There's nothing wrong with those jobs. I worked as a cook for years (unemployed now, but in school). So I can't say anything bad about simple jobs, but only 1% of the population is actually well off

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Oh no Baba, I meant 75% of the pop singers, not regular people. I hope you didn't misunderstand, I think simple jobs are better in many many ways. Heck, I'm a mechanic myself.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Sorry, I did misread it. I forgot that you said that in the same paragraph.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form