Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Motorcycles & Dreadlocks :)

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Thanks for the feedback guys! Looks like the best idea ive found do far is go bump my helmet size up one notch, and line it with satin using spray adhesive. Until then, I'm using a douchy-looking half helmet (chrome with flames- oh boy :-/) and underneath, I wear a satin night-cap I found at Sally Beauty Supply. The cap keeps the roots from becoming unraveled, and I've definitely noticed the wind doing wonders for the dreads.

updated by @ryan-c: 07/17/15 05:12:32PM
Nae
@nae
12 years ago
3 posts

Hey, guys. I stumbled upon the site and the discussion while on one of my bi-annual googling sessions for helmets one can comfortably wear with dreadlocks. It's probably redundant now because of the intro, but my conclusion remains the same as it has been for the past 8 years: there is no decent option. There are some half-decent ones and a couple of utterly appaling, however no motorcycle helmet is designed to be worn over dreads or anything that changes the shape of your skull or neckline.

For example: myself, I found it impossible to wear full-face helmets, for two main reasons. The first is that I have rather thick dreads and, since they mainly sit on the sides and back of neck, this pushes the helmet up and to the back and leaves you with two choices, equally unacceptable: either let it push against your forehead and lower jaw and be in atrocious pain for most of your ride, or go several sizes up (not just one, mind you) and end up with something that feels more like a bucket in terms of fit and noise reduction - also defeating its own purpose. The second is that the same thick, long dreads, if worn loose underneath a full-face, will itch like crazy if you're wearing anything less than a full suit with balaclava.

Instead, I chose to wear a half-helmet, which, while admittedly not nearly as effective as a full face one, at least is something I feel comfortable riding with. Of course, it still needed to be two sizes up and looks a bit weird - but at least on halfs you get much more options in terms of fashion (I'm guessing few fellow dreadheads would enjoy the typical racing look of most full face helmets) . Mine has denim on top (true denim, not paint - over the years it got to look like a well-worn pair of jeans:)

The other option (a good compromise between the first two) is what we call here a "flip-up" (dunno if it's the same in the States), which is nice if you need the wind protection (not the impact, though) of a full face for highway or short trips, but would rather have an open face in the city or otherwise (mostly that, since the squeezing issue still applies). So it's nice, if you don't mind looking like a cop back here:)

There's also a unique helmet from Schuberth, called the J1. which is essentially a half helmet with a steel chin bar to offer protection against chin impacts. Never tried it, am willing to bet that it's extremely effective (like all Schuberths), wouldn't wear it in a million years.

That's about it. I guess another downside is that if you ride a lot (I get about 15k a year), you will end up getting flattened dreads on the temples (if they're thick). Upside is that you will still be about the nicest looking thing on the road:)) helmet or not (preferably the former).

Oh, and one more thing: as I said, I've looked long and hard for a solution for this, and it's still half-assed. If you look closely at the issue, you realize that potentially every dread-wearing biker in this world will encounter the same problem and end up more or less giving up. I'm not much of a business person, but it seems to me that this is a wonderful niche market and somebody might wanna look into making products for this exact type of customer. It's not a huge market, but it's constant, and it's better to have the whole small pie than to fight for a tiny slice of the big one.

So go ahead, kiddies. Make your millions. You're welcome. Spread the love:)

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

TheSchuberth is a 3/4 helmet with the chin bar. It looks like it wouldnt be any easier to slip on over dreads though.

I try my damndest to be a daily rider unless its raining or 30+ mph winds, so I ended up pulling out the hideous half-helmet I got for free with an olf Vulcan 750 I bought years ago. Its always fit alright, but its chrome with bad-looking orange flames, and a skull, and the words 'Death Threat', lol.

Needless to say, I wear it anyways, because Im not going to ride 50+ miles daily without a helmet. I have noticed though that it fits just fine over my dreads. I also wear a satin night cap ove rmy hair to keep the roots under control, since my dreads are still new. Its designed for hair of people of African descent, and can be found in any beauty supply store. A dew rag would also work.

Nae
@nae
12 years ago
3 posts

Of course, when it comes to new dreads, a lot of other things come into play. I didn't ride when I first got mine, 10 years ago - but since prolonged helmet wear flattened old dreads, the same applies to new ones, so beware. Although it is true that my helmet is a much tighter fit than most I've seen.

Ryan C said:

The Schuberth is a 3/4 helmet with the chin bar. It looks like it wouldnt be any easier to slip on over dreads though.

I try my damndest to be a daily rider unless its raining or 30+ mph winds, so I ended up pulling out the hideous half-helmet I got for free with an olf Vulcan 750 I bought years ago. Its always fit alright, but its chrome with bad-looking orange flames, and a skull, and the words 'Death Threat', lol.

Needless to say, I wear it anyways, because Im not going to ride 50+ miles daily without a helmet. I have noticed though that it fits just fine over my dreads. I also wear a satin night cap ove rmy hair to keep the roots under control, since my dreads are still new. Its designed for hair of people of African descent, and can be found in any beauty supply store. A dew rag would also work.

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

I actually like how the half-helmet flattens out my roots, as it 'calms' them down. They aren't too thick, dense, or heavy yet, so left unchecked, tend to get a bit unruly, fluffy, and frizzy at the roots. I'll see how it turns out in the long run, but for now its definitely helping me keep a tidy appearance.

Nae
@nae
12 years ago
3 posts

I hear ya, brother, and it actually makes sense - if only that would be it. However, when I said flat, I really meant flat, as in a shape opposed to round, not a look or a style. Imagine a 20-inch ruler... made of hair:)) That's what 8 years of wearing a tight helmet does to a dreadlock.

Ryan C said:

I actually like how the half-helmet flattens out my roots, as it 'calms' them down. They aren't too thick, dense, or heavy yet, so left unchecked, tend to get a bit unruly, fluffy, and frizzy at the roots. I'll see how it turns out in the long run, but for now its definitely helping me keep a tidy appearance.

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Michigan just passed a law that motorcyclists don't have to wear helmets. 68% voted against it, it still passed.

soaring eagle said:

is speeding up dreads worth risking brain damage or death?

im in a wheelchair thanks to a motorcyckle and a pothole

thank god i had a helmet on or the onkly good id be to thissite is a drool provider

if you ride a motorcycle..wear a helmet no exceptions

hell

you dont even have to have an accident to end up brain damaged or dead at 70 mph hitting a birg]d on the forehead is all it takes

or a rock kicked up by a truck

or a thousand other thighs that could be thrown at your head

how many times ya been in a car and someone runs something over and it flies up and hits the windshield?

u think my typos are bad now? imagine if i didn't wear a helmet that day

i cringe everything i see someone on a motorcycle without a helmet

be a dread head not a brain smear on some stretch of highway

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form