Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Heat, humidity and sweating

Joshua Michael
@joshua-michael
12 years ago
3 posts

So I just recently got a new job in Western Australia. I'll be starting in June. I will also be spending a lot of time in Costa Rica near the beach, in the beach, swimming in a pool, etc. In Australia I will be out in the bush most of the time. Working from sun up to sun down in the heat. I will however be able to wash it like I normally do. I'm wondering if spending a lot of time in the heat, sweating, spending long amounts of time in tropical regions and swimming a lot can end up doing bad things to my dreads, in terms of cleanliness. I've heard of things like dread-rot and I'm just wondering whatevery onesthoughts are?

updated by @joshua-michael: 01/13/15 09:23:06PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The work in Western Australia will not be a problem, because of the dry heat. You're hair will dry pretty quick out in the sun. The problem with sweating that much will be that your head will itch like no itch you've ever had before. It'd be best to wash as often as possible. Wash once and see how long it takes to dry. If it dries within the work day, you could probably get away with washing every other day. You'd itch a bit for a day, but not as much as if you let them go without washing for a week.

As for Costa Rica, the humidity will slow down your drying time considerably. If you are planning on getting your hair wet every day, though, rinse them off with fresh water after you are done for the day, and use a blow dryer to help speed up the process. Don't do your normal washing routine as often. Maybe once every 4 days to once a week. I don't know from experience how long they take to dry down there, but I know that it will take longer, because of the humidity.

You'll find out what works best for you when you get there and wash for the first time. Just keep an eye on how long it takes, and work from there.

Also, it Australia, you might want to think about wearing a hat. That much sun all day long could damage your hair. UV radiation doesn't just hurt your skin.

In the tropics, wear your hair down as much as you can. You want as much air flow between locks as you can get so they dry as fast as possible

Joshua Michael
@joshua-michael
12 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for the thoughts! I was already preparing to wear a shemagh in Australia orat leastkeep them wrapped in a scarf. My dreads are pretty skinny for the most part. Most of them are pencil thickness or slightly bigger except for a few. So that will probably help to, I also don't have blunted tips so that should help a lot also.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form