Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sard Wonder Soap????

Sting.Rey
@stingrey
11 years ago
42 posts
I would stay away from any industrial, household or laundry soaps with all those harsh chemicals for any type of hair and even more so for dreadlocks. I just starting using Dr. Bonner's as recommended on this site, and it is in my humble opinion the best shampoo and bar soaps hands down. Before that I had used Knotty Boy's Dread shampoo bar which was good and also all natural and residue free, but Knotty Boy's is nowhere near as good as the Dr.'s. You should dilute Dr. Bonner's as it is way too strong straight out of the bottle & so it'll last for quite some time.Before that I used a homemade cleaner of Baking Soda followed by a Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. That was okay, and way better then what I started with which was my normal hair shampoo.When I first started, in my ignorance, I kept using the same Aveda Men's Shampoo from before my Dready days. Bad Idea. You'll soon find out that dreadlocks, more so then any other hair type, will "hold in" any type of residue and chemicals due to all the tangles and knots. Those chemicals will slowly build up in your hair and you'll have to deal with that.Normal hair shampoos in addition to lather producing chemicals & residues also contain "conditioning" and "detangling" agents that will work against your dreads locking up. On a side note I still follow up my shampoo with a salt water rinse made with sea salt (no iodine) when I can't make it to ocean to go surf. Use it only on your dreads and avoid getting it on your scalp as it'll dry it out & cause it to itch. I do find that the salt water helps dry out and frizz my hair so it'll lock up faster.Hope this helps and keep us posted.
updated by @stingrey: 07/22/15 07:28:25AM
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Yeah, I agree, I do usually stay well away from chemicals. I just had a bit of a moment, when I saw that soap, just a bit naive forgetting they are harsh chemical cleaners. I gotta find something as nice as DLS for a quarter of the price. :(
Sting.Rey said:

I would stay away from any industrial, household or laundry soaps with all those harsh chemicals for any type of hair and even more so for dreadlocks. I just starting using Dr. Bonner's as recommended on this site, and it is in my humble opinion the best shampoo and bar soaps hands down. Before that I had used Knotty Boy's Dread shampoo bar which was good and also all natural and residue free, but Knotty Boy's is nowhere near as good as the Dr.'s. You should dilute Dr. Bonner's as it is way too strong straight out of the bottle & so it'll last for quite some time.

Before that I used a homemade cleaner of Baking Soda followed by a Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. That was okay, and way better then what I started with which was my normal hair shampoo.

When I first started, in my ignorance, I kept using the same Aveda Men's Shampoo from before my Dready days. Bad Idea. You'll soon find out that dreadlocks, more so then any other hair type, will "hold in" any type of residue and chemicals due to all the tangles and knots. Those chemicals will slowly build up in your hair and you'll have to deal with that.

Normal hair shampoos in addition to lather producing chemicals & residues also contain "conditioning" and "detangling" agents that will work against your dreads locking up. On a side note I still follow up my shampoo with a salt water rinse made with sea salt (no iodine) when I can't make it to ocean to go surf. Use it only on your dreads and avoid getting it on your scalp as it'll dry it out & cause it to itch. I do find that the salt water helps dry out and frizz my hair so it'll lock up faster.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.
ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
11 years ago
122 posts

http://lockologyforlocs.com/store/# !/~/category/id=6904397&offset=0&sort=normal Sorry it took so long...I couldn't remember the page. I wrote them an email the other day, don't laugh...asking if the shampoo was ok for Caucasian hair because the whole store seems aimed toward African American hair. I haven't heard back yet. I'm sure it's all the same though. At least I'd think by the ingredients. I hope this helps some, I definitely understand being broke. Good Luck Tim!!!

Tim said:

Thanks Brandi. I really need a cheaper option. The DLS bars are really the best for sure, but when broke, what do I do? I am looking into shipping by sea at the moment for the DLS, I might be able to stretch the budget after January.
Brandi Wilson said:

I have been using Pantene clarifying shampoo. It says residue free and is supposed to be for "natural" hair. So far I really like it and have had no issues or build up. I'm almost through a whole bottle and shampoo every 2-3 days. It was like $5. I also found another company that sells dread shampoo bars. You got 3 for $9. They were all natural too. If you want I'll look up the web page for you.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Yeah, that is what we need for sure. The shipping is the killer. Shipping by sea may be an option in the future, if we can find enough people in Australia to pitch in for DLS and have it shipped by sea, that is a very real option. Until then I will find something local, I've got a month of DLS left here, that gives me time to find some thing else.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form