Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

separating dreads

k money
@k-money
12 years ago
114 posts

How often should i separate my dreads? I separate some of them everyday because they refuse to stay apart. Should i separate less and just let them do what they want or what? I just want them to progress

updated by @k-money: 01/13/15 09:41:59PM
BeauZay
@beauzay
12 years ago
92 posts

I am at 22 weeks and seperate almost everyday after I shower. I don't always get my hair wet, but when I do its easier to seperate that way. I also do it so often because I want to start with smaller dreads opposed to a bunch of congos.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Many people find it easier to separate when wet. They say it hurts less too. I've never had it hurt to separate, but we each feel discomfort differently.

I posted a video about how to separate locks, on my page. The gist is that you never want to separate all the way to your scalp. The only parts that need separating is where the body of the lock tangles with the body of another lock. Don't yank them apart. Hold one lock so that it's taught against your head. The pull the other in the 180* opposite direction. When they stop ripping, stop pulling. You'll still see hairs near the root that are tangled together. Leave them. They need to be there to help tangle with new growth and to maintain healthy roots. In due time you'll need to rip them apart. But if they don't rip with the rest of the hair, don't force it.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form