Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Wraps and dread rot

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

I love hair wraps they look awesome. But I just wonder if they could cause dread rot? It seems like water and other funk could get trapped in there and maybe they wouldn't get clean? And eventually couldn't they get trapped in the dread? Can they be easily removed if they start doing that? Could they inhibit the process?

updated by @niesje-sigrid: 01/13/15 09:48:47PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Open wraps are better for younger locks. Once they mature, you can do closed wraps.

While the thread tends to stay wet longer than your hair does, open wraps allow for enough ventilation that you won't run the risk of mold. Closed wraps, if left on too long, can cause mold.

Most people try not to leave wraps on for months on end. They tend to get tangled in with the lock and are a pain to get out. I learned the hard way. If you only leave them on for a few weeks, they are easy to remove.

If you find that gunk is getting stuck in your hair, it's probably not from the wrap, unless it's lint, which can get snagged in. Most of the time, just removing the wrap will pull out most of the lint, anyway. If not, you can gently pluck it out with your fingers, or gently with tweezers. if it's stuck in your lock nice and tight, it's just something you may have to deal with. I have blue fuzzies all over my locks from my favorite hoody. They aren't as noticeable to others as they are to you

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

Ok. I was worried about it cuz a friend wanted to put one in my hair. She assured me it would be ok, but then she also puts wax in people's hair so I wanted a second opinion.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form