Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

blunting tips?

Kristie
@kristie
12 years ago
9 posts

how old should my dreads be when i bunt them?

updated by @kristie: 01/13/15 09:40:42PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Blunted tips are not actually desirable. Dreads can take an age to dry, and with the blunted tips it takes even longer. This can lead to problems with mould.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Some people really like they way blunted tips look. If you want to go that route, wait until your locks are completely mature. This can take over a year. When you finally decide to blunt them, realize tat you will probably have to cut off a good few inches of the tips to get to a point where the are knotted together enough to stay blunt. Crocheting your tips to stay blunt will damage them.

Like Adam said, blunted tips take 2-10 times longer to dry. Locks hold water like a sponge. Wispy tips let that water drip out of your locks quickly. Blunt tips force water to pool in the tips of you locks. You have to squeeze and squeeze, and you still may not get most of the water out. Forcing your locks to stay wet longer just causes a greater chance of mold and mildew growth in your locks

Kristie
@kristie
12 years ago
9 posts

well i just want to blunt them once eventually and let those tips get wispy. i dont like the really really really blunted tip look, i just wanna do one time to thicken up the ends because my are tiny tiny thin.

Baba Fats said:

Some people really like they way blunted tips look. If you want to go that route, wait until your locks are completely mature. This can take over a year. When you finally decide to blunt them, realize tat you will probably have to cut off a good few inches of the tips to get to a point where the are knotted together enough to stay blunt. Crocheting your tips to stay blunt will damage them.

Like Adam said, blunted tips take 2-10 times longer to dry. Locks hold water like a sponge. Wispy tips let that water drip out of your locks quickly. Blunt tips force water to pool in the tips of you locks. You have to squeeze and squeeze, and you still may not get most of the water out. Forcing your locks to stay wet longer just causes a greater chance of mold and mildew growth in your locks

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Your locks are only, what 2-3 months old? They should still be thinner at the tips. As they progress, the tips loosen up and then tighten. Once they are fully mature,the tips will be much thicker than they are right now.

As I said,in a year, you can probably safely blunt them. If you don't want the super blunted look, just cut them a little lower than where they start to get harder. Leave a bit of wisp at he tips.

But once you blunt them, you will have toaggressivelyunblunt them to get wispy tips again. It's a pain and takes a long time. Lots of soaking your tips in conditioner and GENTLY brushing out the tips.

Wait at least a year and see if any blunt on their own. I have a few that did it naturally, and 2 that I did myself. The wispty ones, even if they are thicker, still dry faster than thinner blunt ones

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form