Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Wish I would've found this site sooner.

Marco Esquandolas
@marco-esquandolas
15 years ago
15 posts
Hi everyone. My name Mike. This is my first post on the forum and here's my story for those who care:I'm a very impatient person, and I also fell for the DHDQ kit and had a friend backcomb at the end of July. A month or two of struggling, straight hair, and anger. Then, at JonnyClean's suggestion, I combed 90% of them back out, and I backcombed once more.Well this time they stayed, but not before losing up to 50% of the hair in some sections, my once thick sections were now skinny! One of them lost so much hair that now its only 3" long (the rest are 10"+)!! I also discarded my wax after the initial 2nd time, it was just gross to me and didn't seem to be doing any real good.Since 2nd backcombing I have traveled to a festival where, no lie, about 10% of my community had beautiful natty dreads. Since then I have fallen in love with the process, and the look of them. You can just tell when they're real.So now I've come to this point. About 3-4 months in. Haven't used any wax in months, although I still wash about every 2-3 days with the DreadHead shampoo. My dreadlocks are finally starting to look respectable, but I crave the PRIDE of having natural dreadlocks. Maybe that sounds weird, but i feel like natty's just have a certain presence about them. It seems more rewarding to me. I would say 90% of my hair is starting to knot, but many dreads have also been made so thin from the recombing that many are weak and flimsy for the last 3-6in.Before I started on my locks, I had prepared myself for a journey to last years and years. But now I'm questioning if the path I took was the right one. I'm really trying not to cut my hair, but some may be too locked to get out. I think I have gotten all the wax out. It just sucks, they're finally getting decent, and I'm finally seeing the light.So I have a few questions:1. I really like how the natty's form, how they semi-naturally section themselves. Not perfectly uniform. If I were to start over the right way, do you think the sections my hair has been in for 5 months would take over again?2. I'm kind of scared to try to take them out again, judging by the amount of hair I lost the first time. Has anyone tried to take them out after this long and go natural? How much hair did you lose?3. When I combed my hair out the first time, it seemed to be very much textured like a fro in the few dreaded parts. Probably somewhat like your roots look like. Do you think this will help in the new process? Or should I make it straight and normal again?4. Apparently I've been lied to in the past. You guys seem trustworthy. How long should it take my hair to natually start to form locks? By this I mean mass matting, I would leave a few as they have naturally started to mature.5. If I leave them in, is the new growth going to lock up naturally, or am I forever plagued by the backcomb?6. Will my backcombed dreads ever tighten down and look as solid and perfect as natural dreadies?I'm sorry about the giant post. I'm just so torn about what to do. There's 2.5 years of hair on my head but this could be a lifelong decision. The sad part is, if I would've known more about neglect when I had first started researching, I'd be 18 mo's in already.Pictures are from today. They've come a long way. Thanks to any who respond.
updated by @marco-esquandolas: 01/13/15 08:29:31PM
Euphorian
@euphorian
15 years ago
20 posts
Im not fell to DHHQ but i do fell in this site(real fast tho).dread product like wax and all listed in DHHQ just wasting my money.you should try using magic baking soda and nature product like aloe,other oil.you dont need to cut or comb back just let it be but make sure you remove any wax build up in your hair dish soap seems to work well.Be patient dude Dreadlock is just like us when we were born.we doesnt walk,run,jump in a 1st place and we piss in our pant which people call nasty like dreading process(but its cool to me) it take time dude just donr worry much bout your dread as long you washed em right
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form