Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Rubber bands on the roots of dreads?

Denova
@denova
12 years ago
9 posts

Hey guys! So, I just recently started my dreads. I had a little mishap the first time I tried them and so I started over and now I'm using the natural/neglect method. However, I decided to section my hair the way I want it and then put rubber bands at the roots. I don't know if it makes any difference but my hair is very thin and fine. Are the rubber bands okay to leave in for the first month or so, or should I just take them out?

updated by @denova: 01/13/15 09:38:50PM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

putting rubber bands in your hair isnt a good idea, if left in for a while they can get sucked into your hair, melt into your hair, or just pull hair out of the root. if anything use hemp or embroidery string. natural/neglect is letting your hair section itself with little to no interferance except for seperating. but if you worried about your hair taking forever to lock because its straight then try the twist and rip method its the next best way besides natural for healthy dreads :) but dont leave the rubber bands in they arent any good for your hair.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

To add to what Castaway said, bands also pinch your hair too tight because they are elastic. This creates weak spots in your locks that don't knot up and can snap.

Everything that he said is completely true too.

Bands are not good to put in your hair at all.

If you want to add anything to help keep the sections separated, add beads to them. Beads act like little imitation knots that promote more knotting

nicaz
@nicaz
12 years ago
4 posts

if you still decide to use bands keep them an inch away from your scalp and dont put them on to tight, make sure u take them out before they soften and go into your dreads. I stilluse them occasionally with no problems but it best not to of course

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Beads!! Beads are awesome. Beads are great! They can be moved around, changed out, they help promote knotting, keep sections in their section. They can be plain or wild, bood, glass, ceramic, polymer clay, or plastic. Beads are the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form