Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Not sure if my new dreads are knotted enough?

Denova
@denova
12 years ago
9 posts
Hi guys! So, I just started my new dreads a couple days ago and they look really awesome and knotty and frizzy and dreadlocky on the outside, but some of them do feel loose and the hair in the middle of them seems just smooth and straight. Should I try to wash out the beeswax and backcomb again? Or is this normal? Also, is there any way that I can post a photo to this discussion?
updated by @denova: 01/13/15 09:38:48PM
Ruben Eli
@ruben-eli
12 years ago
11 posts
dont backcomb! Did you backomb them before? Its normal that its loosy because they are still baby dreads i think...
Denova
@denova
12 years ago
9 posts
Would you suggest that I wash my hair with dish soap or something after combing the wax out?
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Yes. You will need detergent to get the wax out. Have a few good washes with it and start again. Natural is best. TnR is your other option. If you choose TnR, be sure to make different sized sections, of no more than one square inch. Also, don't bother making them square. All different shapes work best.

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts
You should never rebackcomb! You do however need to remove the wax in order for them to dread! www.dreadlockshampoo.com has a wax remover. While you are there, pick up some of their shampoo. The bars work good if you have hard water. Washing encourages your hair to dread. Wash once or twice a week or whenever your head feels dirty.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Reback combing them will only reset the process to day one.

Since you used wax, and are only a few days in, wash them out. Wax prevents knotting, and will create a great condition for mold and mildew to grow in your hair. The only way to get wax out is to use a detergent. Normal soap ad water wont do it. And no reputable dreadlock shampoo will clean it out. The aggresiveness you'd need to washout wax will end up undoing any knots formed anyway. So it'll be better to just wash it all out an tart over.

It would be normal to see them untangle a lot and have some straight loose hair at this stage, though. Dreadlocks, on average, need a full year to form into mature locks

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form