12 years ago
6 posts

sorry i don't know how to remove this

updated by @olivia2: 01/13/15 09:30:09PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

I think everyone looks great with dreadlocks. I haven't seen a dready & thought "wow they would look better with normal hair"...never.

You can take the task upon yourself to educate all these people who think dreads are dirty or gross. If they can't learn & have an open mind to things are they the kind of people who you care about their opinions anyways? It is a bit of a commitment & nothing you should just jump into lightly, take a bit of time to think & decide what you want, if you don't think you can handle things people might say to you maybe you aren't ready yet. Moms always worry. She just wants you to be happy, if you think dreads will help your happy, dread away dear. If you end up wanting to remove them you can use olive oil & brush them out, but it will take a while & your hair can be damaged if you used harsh dreading methods. Like I said, it's a bit more of a commitment than just a hairstyle.

You can start washing your hair as if they were baby dreads (the bs/acv wash described in the dreaducation tab up top) & if you want just stop brushing now & see how things come along. Check out some timelines, read a few discussions, think about it some.

Olivia2
@olivia2
12 years ago
6 posts

your right it is acommitmenti should think about it more! yah if theyaren'topen minded ishouldn'tcare what they think. Thanks you're veryhelpfuland I like your ideas!

Chris  Schneider
@chris-schneider
12 years ago
1 posts

I am 44 and have wanted Dreads since I was your age! Mine are 2 weeks old and i am thrilled! Now I see you have been thinking about this for a while...so if you do your not just jumping in.
Pro: do it for your self who cares what others think.
you will look great.
do it in the summer so they will look great by back to school
if you do not use WAX you can use tons of conditioner and brush them out if you no longer want them.
CONS: you go to a private "preppy" High School...as the victim of High School bully-ing I know that it can make your life miserable if your peers are mean about it. Do think about it...as much as I'd hate to let others make my decisions for me it can really be a determining factor. How are you treated now? Are your close friends supportive? Your BF? How do kids in your school treat anyone who is different? I guess what I am saying is do it if you want to...but be careful if it would make you a target for bully's.

Olivia2
@olivia2
12 years ago
6 posts

The cons are the same kind of questions i have been asking myself over and over. I have been treated well inhigh schoolso far. My peers respect me and people don't say unkind words. There's just theoccasional"shes weird but nice"becausei don't conform and they can't think of anything better to say.obviouslyi'm not the type to conform if I am considering dreadlocks.My teachers have beenacceptingto myrebelliousnessso far. I really want to get dreadlocks for myself, I think they arebeautifuland i love the naturalness of them. But I can't make up my mind if its worth it when none of my friends and family will fullysupportme? My family mainly won'tsupportme because they are afraid that theprejudicedagainst me will hurt me. That is why i posted herehopingto get peoples honest opinion. Thanks for the pointers and i'm glad your happy with your dreads! I was wondering if you could tell me why you didn't get them at my age, where you in a similar situation. (sorry this is kind of long)

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

i wanted them when i was your age, my parents wouldn't allow it.

it's tough to do anything with absolutely no support, but we are here for that ;)

Olivia B said:

The cons are the same kind of questions i have been asking myself over and over. I have been treated well inhigh schoolso far. My peers respect me and people don't say unkind words. There's just theoccasional"shes weird but nice"becausei don't conform and they can't think of anything better to say.obviouslyi'm not the type to conform if I am considering dreadlocks.My teachers have beenacceptingto myrebelliousnessso far. I really want to get dreadlocks for myself, I think they arebeautifuland i love the naturalness of them. But I can't make up my mind if its worth it when none of my friends and family will fullysupportme? My family mainly won'tsupportme because they are afraid that theprejudicedagainst me will hurt me. That is why i posted herehopingto get peoples honest opinion. Thanks for the pointers and i'm glad your happy with your dreads! I was wondering if you could tell me why you didn't get them at my age, where you in a similar situation. (sorry this is kind of long)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form