Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

workplace discrimination

Bummie
@bummie
12 years ago
34 posts

so im looking for a new job. the first company i tried to go with was TMC they are known as The Marine Corps of trucking and are very strict, they had a no long hair policy unless you a woman and a no tattoo policy, i didnt even bother arguing with them since from what i read this was not the company for me.

I found maverick transportation out of Arkansas and after almost a month of their recruitment process they have decided to hire me. Now when i spoke to a recruiter in person in my home town i specifically asked him about their policy on long hair, his answer was "you can have long hair as long as its kept clean. You can have dreadlocks as long as they are clean. No gauged ears or hoop earings" thats what made me apply and wait for the almost month to get hired since they pay much more than any other flatbed company i could find.

Today i was supposed to book my flight down to orientation i got my acceptance email with all the things i need to bring with me along with some of their policy's they state for the dress policy section :

Dress Policy

Must be clean and have neatly trimmed hair, beard, and mustache. Must
maintain good personal and dental hygiene.

Maverick does not allow: Pony tails, hoop earrings, facial piercings,
tank tops, hats/clothing or tattoos with lewd or suggestive matter.

Shorts are allowed on Maverick property only, and they must be hemmed or
cuffed.

Please be sure to bring a long sleeved shirt, cuffed or hemmed long
pants, and a pair of steel toed boots. (Some of our customers do not
allow you on their property without them.)

So unless you are a woman sounds like you in fact cannot have long hair or ponytails. What can i say to them to make this an illegal practice. My hair is in fact very clean and in a hair tie even looks neat. I have wasted a month on this and dont want to go work somewhere else for .36 cents per mile. please help, i know soaring eagle was saying in some other posts that this is discrimination and should not be allowed nor tolerated. Im a trucker for god sake. some of those guys look like they just crawled out of a trash can.

updated by @bummie: 01/13/15 09:18:56PM
Guillaume
@guillaume
12 years ago
16 posts

Just wait 'till SE posts a nice letter to your employer. He knows his subject. Guaranty you your hair won't be a problem anymore. CEOs are scared of people who know their rights.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form