Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tea tree oil/water spray ratios

Katie2
@katie2
13 years ago
40 posts

I use a tea tree oil and water spray daily before leaving the house and sometimes at night. I still haven't figured out what is a good ratio of oil to water. My bottle is 4 oz. With a 4 oz. bottle, what ratio do you suggest?

updated by @katie2: 01/13/15 09:04:14PM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Why do you feel the need to spray your hair with Tea Tree so much? How often are you washing? Tea Tree is very drying and can cause irritation. If you are using it in place of washing that is no good. Also, if you are wetting your hair daily...especially at night you could end up with mold. The use of some essential oils is considered medicinal, while others only smell nice. What is your reasons for so much Tea Tree?
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
I just looked at your page and you are using water only to cleanse...so I assume your scalp is itching...probably alot. Here is a sure, fire way to stop the itching....wash your hair ! And use some shampoo! I don't know where everyone keeps getting these crazy ideas to only use water! It is not healthy or sanitary and it does not help your hair dread. Dirty hair will take way longer to progress...you need to wash your hair. All damage and problems with hair and scalp is cumulative, so the longer to do not wash and cleanse away the dust and polution...not to mention the natural oils from your head...the more problems you will have. Do you realize that every pollutant that is in the air is also in your dreads and you are bringing them into your home and bed every night? Please limit the Tee Tree and increase your use of soap.
Katie2
@katie2
13 years ago
40 posts

Bugs. I have a fear of bugs. I was unaware that it is drying. What oils would you suggest for keeping them from drying out? My dreads have always seemed to get really dry...that is why I began to use the oils. I use a mix of Tea tree, patchouli, and sweet orange. But I read from Soaring Eagle that tea tree keeps the bugs away.

Panterra Caraway said:

Why do you feel the need to spray your hair with Tea Tree so much? How often are you washing? Tea Tree is very drying and can cause irritation. If you are using it in place of washing that is no good. Also, if you are wetting your hair daily...especially at night you could end up with mold. The use of some essential oils is considered medicinal, while others only smell nice. What is your reasons for so much Tea Tree?
Katie2
@katie2
13 years ago
40 posts

Would you give me a suggestion for a soap that 1) does not dry my hair out, and 2) does not leave residue that does not come out? This is why for the last several washings I have only used water. I was not happy with how my hair felt, smelled, and dreaded when I was using soaps, BS/ACV, shampoos, etc. What do you suggest to me then?

Also, my hair has always been...even when not dreaded...very very dry. What do you suggest for that?

Panterra Caraway said:

I just looked at your page and you are using water only to cleanse...so I assume your scalp is itching...probably alot. Here is a sure, fire way to stop the itching....wash your hair ! And use some shampoo! I don't know where everyone keeps getting these crazy ideas to only use water! It is not healthy or sanitary and it does not help your hair dread. Dirty hair will take way longer to progress...you need to wash your hair. All damage and problems with hair and scalp is cumulative, so the longer to do not wash and cleanse away the dust and polution...not to mention the natural oils from your head...the more problems you will have. Do you realize that every pollutant that is in the air is also in your dreads and you are bringing them into your home and bed every night? Please limit the Tee Tree and increase your use of soap.
Katie2
@katie2
13 years ago
40 posts

Okay, so since reading your post, I have been really pissed! Not at you...at me. I think I'm doing something right, and then someone else tells me otherwise. And then I start doing something different, and I'm told that what I'm doing is bad.

So, tonight, I started looking through some stuff, somewhat related to the oil, written by SE and it was confirmed that tea tree dries out hair. I'm so pissed! For almost 8 months I've been using tea tree oil, not sparingly either! Now what do I do!? What do I do to counteract the damage I've caused my hair? It's so damn dry and I'm only contributing to it's dryness! It's so hard to know what to ask on here, wait for replies, and then have to write messages back and forth to be able to know stuff! I wish I had like a next-door-neighbor to ask every time I have a question. Makes me so mad! So, then if I'm going to use soaps to wash again...how? How does one wash with soaps and be sure to get all the crap out? And I understand the whole pollutant in the air is in my hair idea...but now what? I feel like someone has to actually see, feel, smell my hair to know how to help because the advice you give someone else, and what you would do yourself can't be the same for me because my hair is going to be different, I live in a different climate, my body will produce different amounts of oils, my diet is different, my daily activities are different, the pollutants in my area are different, etc... so how can anyone know that the advice they give me can really be good for me? Does that make sense? What are your thoughts?

I'm frustrated. And I feel pissed that, as you have said, I have been doing whatever to my hair for almost a year now...so whatever damage I have begun...I'm hoping that it has not ruined my first round of dreads. The friends who started my dreads have given me, as it appears to be, bad advice...every last bit of advice...all bad. Pisses me off.

Thanks for letting me vent. *Sigh*

What do you think I should do now?

Panterra Caraway said:

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
Dr. Bronners is a good shampoo, as well as maylee's bars and residue free, but baking soda wash with some different oils with an apple cider vinegar rinse is just as wonderful if not more so! I'm not positive but i do believe if you added a SMALL amount of jojoba oil to a spray bottle and used it maybe once a week or so it would help condition your dreads back up but not so much in fact that they'd fall out, another thing is to maybe use some aloe once every couple of weeks to kind of help out, I'm not positive tho. I have been using tea tree the past few days and myself had forgotten it was drying me out, the good news is I just did some aloe the other day so that prolly has saved me a bit. Good luck!
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Oh Katie!I could feel all of your frustrations! Let us take one step at a time. First...I am a professional of 31 years of Cosmetology, so I have a bit of knowledge saved up ;) I certainly can be a neighbor if you would like...stop by my page and friend me if you want to. I will be happy to help. Some of the things you will want to consider in picking a good shampoo are....Yes, where do you live? Are you in a hot or cold climate? (I think I read Rancho...? I am in La Verne....so, indeed....REAL neighbors! LOL) Do you take meds? Do you color your hair? These are some questions you will want to ask yourself, plus a few more. For the sake of privacy, you are welcome to message me too and I will do whatever I can to help. We will definitely get you sorted out. I do understand the anger. Feeling that you are taking wrong turns and you are only trying to do your best. You are right when you say that it is difficult to figure out what to do in a forum setting...but, not impossible. I find that most hair fixes are easy if we ask lots of questions. I hope to hear from you, one way or another...and we will get you on track! Blessings.

Katie said:

Okay, so since reading your post, I have been really pissed! Not at you...at me. I think I'm doing something right, and then someone else tells me otherwise. And then I start doing something different, and I'm told that what I'm doing is bad.

So, tonight, I started looking through some stuff, somewhat related to the oil, written by SE and it was confirmed that tea tree dries out hair. I'm so pissed! For almost 8 months I've been using tea tree oil, not sparingly either! Now what do I do!? What do I do to counteract the damage I've caused my hair? It's so damn dry and I'm only contributing to it's dryness! It's so hard to know what to ask on here, wait for replies, and then have to write messages back and forth to be able to know stuff! I wish I had like a next-door-neighbor to ask every time I have a question. Makes me so mad! So, then if I'm going to use soaps to wash again...how? How does one wash with soaps and be sure to get all the crap out? And I understand the whole pollutant in the air is in my hair idea...but now what? I feel like someone has to actually see, feel, smell my hair to know how to help because the advice you give someone else, and what you would do yourself can't be the same for me because my hair is going to be different, I live in a different climate, my body will produce different amounts of oils, my diet is different, my daily activities are different, the pollutants in my area are different, etc... so how can anyone know that the advice they give me can really be good for me? Does that make sense? What are your thoughts?

I'm frustrated. And I feel pissed that, as you have said, I have been doing whatever to my hair for almost a year now...so whatever damage I have begun...I'm hoping that it has not ruined my first round of dreads. The friends who started my dreads have given me, as it appears to be, bad advice...every last bit of advice...all bad. Pisses me off.

Thanks for letting me vent. *Sigh*

What do you think I should do now?

Panterra Caraway said:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form