Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlocks as therapy

Rod Norwood
@rod-norwood
13 years ago
9 posts
In March of last year I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. During a routine exam it was discovered I had serious heart issues as well. Needless to say this was quite a shock. I had cancer 10 years earlier and was not looking forward to dealing with it again. In Sept. my prostate was removed and I was out of commision for several weeks. I'm self employed with no insurance and it was devasting financially. I had my first PSA test after the surgery and found that cancer was still in the prostate area, it had gotten out of the prostate. I had 37 radiation treatments, five days a week. I started feeling really bad after the third week and was unable to work much. My financial situation turned from horrible to desperate. My radiation treatments ended about three weeks ago and I feel much, much better. We are getting back to work and trying get back on our feet, my wife, who stood by side this whole year, and I. Here's the dreadlock part, DREADLOCKS saved my ass during this whole wretched year. I got interested in having dreads and the interest became an obession. Every night, no matter how bad I felt, I would look on the internet, read all I could, look at photos, etc. I couldn't wait to get up in the morning to see how my dreads were doing. I went neglect and it is a slow process but it was great for me. I was focused on my dreads and not focused on being sick and it truly helped me through a pretty hellish year. My prognosis is good, I hope to be around a long time and have dreads as long as Soaring Eagle.
updated by @rod-norwood: 01/13/15 08:58:12PM
Rod Norwood
@rod-norwood
13 years ago
9 posts
Thank you Suzanne. You are right, dreads do give you strength and in a way, they give you purpose as well. Thanks again for the kind words.

Suzanne Beattie said:
Hey, congratulations of fighting the fight! I believe dreads give strength - andalong with your wife - they have without a doubt helped you on your hard journey. Your post is beaming with positivity and definitely you'll have mile long Soaring Eagle dreads. Peace.
Rod Norwood
@rod-norwood
13 years ago
9 posts

Hello,

Thanks for the good thoughts, I really appreciate it. My first cancer was lymphoma, a rare one, called a malt lymphoma. It is basically cancer of the stomach lining. I had very aggressive chemo, lost my hair, the whole bit. It got rid of it and it's been over ten years. I've had two friends with testicular cancer and both have done very well. I'm glad you are doing good. I've been very fortunate to have a great wife, we've been together forty years.Dreads really helped me deal with this, it was really a Godsend.

Take care,

Rod

hippyjo said:

Blessings and strength to you brother! Though it seems you have plenty of strength. Just hearing you have cancer is enough to give you a different reality. I am happy you are coming out the other side. What was your first cancer. I had testicle cancer about 5 years ago and was blessed not to have to do all the aggressive stuff to get rid of it. Dreads are differently a turn point for most of us. It seems like they were a god send for you, cool GOD DREADS. You are so lucky to have a good woman by your side. The partner I had had a good cry and then she left. Thanks for your inspiring life!! Anyway once again blessing to you your wife and your goddreads
Rod Norwood
@rod-norwood
13 years ago
9 posts

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the kind words.

Rod
KelloKiki said:

I would like to applaud you for your strength and courage. You and your wife obviously have a very supportive relationship. I'm glad you found something therapeutic to occupy your mind a bit during those tough times. Thanks for sharing your story, it's very inspiring. I wish you and your family good health and happiness for years to come!

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Hi Rod! Thank you for sharing. I believe that dreads are empowering and spiritually soothing...there is definitely something to this journey we take when when we decide to throw away our comb. I am at 9 mos. of neglect. My story is really nothing like yours...but exactly like yours. I have 3 daughters. The middle one is Autistic and the youngest is Bi-Polar. My youngest became so ill in her head, that although she was only 10 my husband and I made a very painful decision for her good. We put her into a psychiatric residential program in Utah (we live in California). It nearly killed us to do it, but we saw our baby slipping away and so drastic measures were called for. Well, she has been gone for 2 yrs. but she comes home for good next month! She is well and happy...ofcoarse, she will always be Bi-Polar, but we have learned alot on how to help her now. This whole past year I missed my child and I felt helpless to changes events. I just had to settle back and do the grime work that must be done sometimes. Dreads took me to a place of peace in my head. So, I do understand. Thank you and bless you brother... Namaste.
Rod Norwood
@rod-norwood
13 years ago
9 posts

Hello Namaste,

I really appreciateyour story. It really helps to see how people deal with adversity in such a positive way.I can't imagine the difficulty you had making the decision with your child but I do believe it was the right one. I wish you the best in the future.

Take care,

Rod

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form