Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Mane N Tails Shampoo on Dreads

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
Hey folks,Now we all know the reasons as to why one would want to use a non-residue/sulfate shampoo, specifically on dreads. My question is concerning the use of Mane N Tails Deep Moisturizing shampoo. Below is a list of a few of its inredients, though it also contains glycerin and coconut oil i believe.Water , Sodium Lauryl Sulphate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Cocamide DEA , Glycol Distearate , Fragrance , Hydrolyzed Protein , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , DMDM HydantoinNow obviously there are some "bad" ingredients in it. The reason i have been using it in my (as of yet undreaded) hair is because it doesnt dry out my hair but also infuses it with protein. That is important for my african hair because lack of protein in hair can lead to breakage, and i havent yet found a natural, non residue shampoo that moisturizes yet also contains protein for hair strength. I can tell you my hair has had no problem matting up even after only a week of not picking it out but like i said, the problems with residue shampoo are kinda well documented. Any of you know of any natural shampoos that provide moisture but also protein?
updated by @thundersquall: 01/13/15 08:49:07PM
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Now, I have moderately mature dreads in Caucasian hair, but I've used it before with pretty nice results. The way I see it, if it knotted my hair pre-dreads, then I'm sure it's going to keep my hair knotty.
Heather B
@heather-b
14 years ago
53 posts
wow...mane n tail always left my hair supa silky and smooth...I loved it when I had straight hair...so I would be a little afraid of it making the dreads fall out...but if its helping, then the only thing I would worry about would be what kind of residues it's leaving. If you can't rinse all of it out completely you might be opening yourself up to the possibility of mold.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Easy solution to this: Just like the bs wash, pour a bit of the shampoo into the bottom of a cup, and then fill the rest with water. Give it a good stir so that it's all dissolved, and pour it over your head ( I pour it over sections to make sure that it's all equally covered). That makes it tons easier to distribute and to rinse out!

Heather B said:
wow...mane n tail always left my hair supa silky and smooth...I loved it when I had straight hair...so I would be a little afraid of it making the dreads fall out...but if its helping, then the only thing I would worry about would be what kind of residues it's leaving. If you can't rinse all of it out completely you might be opening yourself up to the possibility of mold.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
you can wash your hair with residue free shampoo and infuse it with protein by soaking it in eggs.I my sound insane but I'm not kidding.put one or two eggs in a bowl depending on the length of your hear, mix thoroughly with a cup of warm water, and soak you hair in it for ten minutes or so. Rinse it out with water on the cold side (so you don't cook your eggs and have eggs bits on your head) and ta-da! Natural chemical free (mostly, depending on your eggs) protein for your hair.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Sorry, but this is a real bad idea for dreads. First off, the molecules of a raw egg are simply not small enough to penetrate to the inner shaft where the protein is most needed. In the old days women used egg shampoos because there wasn't an equivelant product at that time to give them that thick, lush feeling. The reason why eggs make the hair seem shiny and healthier is the fats in the egg yolk...not the protein. Given that dreads are not routinely cut, things that would not get a chance to buildup on regular hair, most certainly will on dreads. Eggs will not comlpetely rinse out and will definately mold. As for Mane and Tail...hair that is prone to breakage does need extra protein...but!...hair that gets a big dose of protein over and over without cutting will eventually get brittle. This is the flip side to too much protein. In all things to do with hair moderation is the key...but with dreads, even things done in moderation will turn on you. I would evaluate if your hair is really up to the extra weight and length that will come with dreads. If you had breakage in your hair in response to chemical processes or heat appliances like many women (but especially African American ladies who may straighten the hair more), your hair should lessen in breakage when these harmful processes are discontinued. If you have had breakage routinely and can't seem to grow your hair no matter what you do and don't really use alot of relaxers, etc. you may find that your breakage continues. Regardless, I would not continue with this shampoo or use eggs, mayo or beer to help your hair. If your breakage is chronic I would seek out a keratin protein or biotin based shampoo. I know that these types of shampoos will contain chemicals, it is a guarantee...but if you disperse them in the way Faelynn described, you would probably be okay. :D
Lex said:
you can wash your hair with residue free shampoo and infuse it with protein by soaking it in eggs.
I my sound insane but I'm not kidding.

put one or two eggs in a bowl depending on the length of your hear, mix thoroughly with a cup of warm water, and soak you hair in it for ten minutes or so. Rinse it out with water on the cold side (so you don't cook your eggs and have eggs bits on your head) and ta-da! Natural chemical free (mostly, depending on your eggs) protein for your hair.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form