My Dread Journey
I have finally come around to starting a blog post to keep track of my current dread journey.
First, I must kick off this journey with what my locks looked like prior to dreadlocking:
As you can see, I have pretty wavy hair.
I made the decision to twist and rip my hair on April 13, 2012. I really don't like brushing my hair anyway and, having it this long for the first time in a VERY long time was causing me all kinds of issues. Anyway, I decided to go with tnr because my hair (lower back) tended to mat in a giant ball every single day and I had to pick at it to get it loose regularly. I felt it would save me the anguish of dealing with the bber felted ball that would result if I went completely neglect... so I twist and ripped for a little direction and left it alone to do it's thing.
My weekly hair maintenance (for the record and those who care to know) consists of:
- Dr. Bronner's liquid soap (in lavender and/or tea tree) diluted with water 1/12, or
- Baking Soda 1/3 - 1/2 cup, lavendar/tea tree oil 20 drops, rosemary oil 20 drops, gallon of water This was not so great for me, imo.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (just a splash), gallon of water, same parts of the aforementioned oils, glob of aloe juice
- For flyaway control I lightly use Aloe Vera Gel
- Sea Salt Water spray the night before each washing
Now, I wash every 2 - 3 days alternating between no. 1 and 2, followed up with no. 3.
So, from this point onward, I am going to update my journey by posting comments. I can't change the chronology though so the top-most comment is the most latest (a bit backwards, I know. but I am not really sure how else I should do this...)
Happy reading and BB!