Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

About wax...

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts
Hey guys! ve been doing some resesrch about wax. know that sites like knotty boy wants to sell their products so they promote it. know dreadlocksste.com doesnt like them being used but ive been looking at sites like yahoo answers and some people say they it is alright to use and its healthy. But some people say they stink and are unhealthy. m confused! Does the wax have any positive effects? s it alright to use? f not what should i do? Leave them be? Or any other products?Thanks! Peace from Turkey!
updated by @kubilay-kapucu: 02/14/15 05:31:49AM
John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

I'm going to suggest you stay away from the wax..the best thing is to just not use anything at all on them and just let them knot by themselves and go with the flow. only thing you should be doing is washing and separating every once in a while.

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts
So what your saying is the wax is way of making money and has no effect on dread?
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts
  • Wax will not allow your dreads to mature, it only glues them in place, it gives an artificial dread, not an actual dread at all, not one that grows and knots and shrinks and becomes a dread, a clean, soft natural feeling dread that feels and smells wonderful
  • wax holds / traps in dirt
  • wax holds in pollution and odors, they will all get trapped inside of it. What a stink
  • wax holds in pockets of water inside the dread, causing mold to grow.
  • wax does not allow dreads to be washed properly as the hair is surrounded by wax. Wax free-Natural dreads are washed 2-3 times a week in the beginning, then once a week when mature. Do an experiment, dip you finger in wax, let it cool, now dip it in water...did that finger get wet...no...so how can dreads get clean if they are made from wax?
  • dreads are heavy with wax in them, they don't sway in the gentle breeze. Hold a candle, hold a whole bunch of them, feel the weight? Now add that weight to your hair for every day from here on in....ouch on the scalp?...you bet...stress on the scalp....you bet
  • candles are made from wax and catch fire, dreads with wax in them can catch fire easily...a simple spark from a fire will do it if it lands on your head...if you are at a bon fire and a spark flies in your dreads...how would you put it out when your entire head catches on fire ?
  • wax stain pillow cases, bed sheets and clothing, especially around the shoulders
  • wax causes pimples and in some cases boils to the face and scalp
  • wax will hold/trap in the lint and other every day air floaties and they will not come out
  • you won't like the feel of waxed dreads, neither will a girl. Why not feel soft natural hair?
  • waxed hair stinks....period
  • in hot climates, waxed dreads are sticky
  • put a candle in the window, does it melt from the heat of the sunshine??? You really want the wax to melt in your dreads???

Bet I could come up with more, but maybe you get the idea now. We are just members here on this site. We do not make money off products. Many other sites do, they promote for you to spend money. They get people to promote on you tube etc. so that you will fall into that trap. I make no money explaining why wax is one of the worst things for dreadlocks, then it must be the truth, I have nothing to sell you, I am just saving you from doing it.

Use the search tab near the top left and key in the words "Waxed Dreads". You will get many postings from members who started off with wax and what really happened to them due to it. Actual experiences from actual people with nothing to gain but to educated others by their mistake.

peace

Peace

John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

barellady summed it up pretty good. wax does have an effect, and a negative one. stay away from it and you'll like your dreads even more :)

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts
Thanks for all the help guys! But this made me think of other questions... slways t hought that wax and back combing whent hand to hand (because of a knotty boy vdeo on yt). f waxing is out of the picture is back combing and twist and ripping enough???
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

here is a pic of a member on this site, Princenoobsauce... if you had stiff waxed dreads, the you could never be a ninja like he can with his natural product free dreads......

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

No wax is needed for any dreads You can grow them naturally which is the best method, you can do the twist & rip method which is second best..again..no wax needed. You can also do the backcombed method, which causes a little damage to the hair because you are forcing it up in the opposite direction it grows and pushing it up tightly which causes cracks in the hair...but again...no wax is needed. Read my posting, maybe this will help you with many questions: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/just-starting-out-what-to-expect?xg_source=activity

peace

Kubilay KAPUCU said:

Thanks for all the help guys! But this made me think of other questions... slways t hought that wax and back combing whent hand to hand (because of a knotty boy vdeo on yt). f waxing is out of the picture is back combing and twist and ripping enough???
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

All wax is insoluble in water. It is the major part of the definition of wax.. That includes bees wax. So...no....bees wax is bad for dreads.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

KaraElla, the title of this post by Soaring Eagle is "Waxing Dreadlocks with Dread Wax or Bees Wax, Real Info No Lies....says it all.... please read before suggesting it is not suppose to be as bad, Bees Wax is not a safer choice: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/waxing-dreadlocks-with-d...

KaraElla said:

That would make the most sense.... I've just recently stumbled upon that piece of information and it made me think about it.

Anything that needs to be melted down probably shouldn't be put in a person's hair!!!! Like I said, I would not suggest it. However if someone is strictly wanting dreadlocks for a look and is going to use wax regardless I felt like it might be worth looking into.... Not trying to spread false information.

taye said:

All wax is insoluble in water. It is the major part of the definition of wax.. That includes bees wax. So...no....bees wax is bad for dreads.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form