Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Curly dreads?

Selfautopsy
@selfautopsy
11 years ago
2 posts
My hair is naturally curly and thicks and so I'm locking up pretty fast. I used to always straighten my hair but now I embrace it. It seems as if my maturing dreads underneath are thickening in the shape of curls, is this okay? I figure when they are heavier they will straighten out but I honestly like the idea of curly dreads. Any input on the matter is welcome! Peace :)
updated by @selfautopsy: 01/13/15 09:54:21PM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I have curly locks. They look awesome. And yes, they're rounding out, but they're still keeping a great deal of their original personality. You don't lose that.

I have to say that I love my curls now much more than I did with unknotty hair. Selfautopsy, you're right to embrace it. Anything your hair does is fine and will be beautiful. Just... watch out for spontaneous congos. Curly hair like ours tends to migrate strangely. Like, one day it's perfectly fine and the next you've got ten hairs in one lock that are strangely deeply embedded in a lock two rows over. You gotta separate very well.

From about ten feet away you can't even tell I have dreadlocks, my hair is still that curly, and I'm 10 months in.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Curly hair sure does dread faster. Once they are fully mature, they will be firm dreads and the curls will not be noticeable like they are now. This will take 1-2 years.....peace

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

That's funny, Barrellady, because I have some that are fully mature and they spiral almost like they did before.

Jonathan Farr
@jonathan-farr
11 years ago
6 posts

yay!!! i have curlys too! they are the best! i'd imagine that you will get some unique looking ones! have you checked out castaways photos. that might give you a good idea! everyones are different at first:) itll be fun

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

And no, those were not wrapped around curlers. You can tell by the roots of her hair. Her scalp was purposely sectioned to have that many locks, though.

updated by @angel-frye: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Found another curly headed beauty. Not sure who she is.

updated by @angel-frye: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
11 years ago
91 posts

yup! I am totally with this too. Curly dreads are soo much fun. i'm a year and 3 months in a still a waaay to go! But I flippin love my curly nestie. :D

Selfautopsy
@selfautopsy
11 years ago
2 posts
Thank you all for your answers :D everyone is so friendly!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form