Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twisty Ties??

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I don't like constantly using my own locks to tie my hair back(I worry about damage) and I really want more flexibility in ways to tie my hair up but still using the same concept. We can't use barrettes because of the comb sections on them. So I thought, what about twist ties, like the kind you use for garbage bags? Anyone tried it?

updated by @angel-frye: 02/14/15 04:46:35AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Nope, never tried twist ties, but you can use shoe laces, they come in many colors, designs and lengths and the texture keeps them in the hair. they can be tied loosely and stay. Do you have any necklaces with pendants on the, the ones that are black rope, Those work fantastic, just fold in half, wrap around dreads and slip the pendant through. Many thrift stores have them, so you can get them with an assortment of charms/pendants on them to add funk to your hair. Just slip it through the rope on the top side of your dreads so it shows.....peace

Sure, twist ties will work, just don't do them too tight to cause stress points on your dreads.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I think saying 'bread bag ties' might sound nicer now that I look back at what I wrote. :(

Never thought of shoe laces, Barrellady. I was thinking of something that would cinch and squish and not be so noticeable. I can't tell you how many cute styles I've thought of and wanted to try but it'd always fall apart because you can't use something like bobby pins on locks. I think that with strategic twist ties a LOT could be done that's really far out there. Also, the style could be something you could even recline in for a little while without it looking trashed. That's what always annoys me the most.

It might be a little color crazy because I have such a variety of colors in ties, but when I can I'll make a few updos and try to post some pics here. So many ideas!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

using your dreads is the healthiest way

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Princess Kay
@princess-kay
11 years ago
47 posts

i dont imagine how it would be... you should try it and show us photos!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

mines so long i just take my thickest wrap it round the base of the rest then if i want em all up coil the reast around that and tuck under your not tying knots are u just tucking under?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I tie a loose knot more frequently if I'm serious about it staying put but sometimes I only twist/tuck one lock around the other. I know, I know... tying them in a knot is bad. But my hair is all different lengths and it escapes. I get tired of using scrunchies cause I always lose the damn things. Then my kids use them for slingshots at the cats.

My neck is a little out of wack today(on an icepack) so it won't be today that I take pics but it'll be soon, I promise. Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

If anyone wants to have some twist tie fun in the meantime I'm sure we'd love to see your handiwork.

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Please, yes, some updos pics would be great when your neck is better.

Angel Frye said:

I think saying 'bread bag ties' might sound nicer now that I look back at what I wrote. :(

Never thought of shoe laces, Barrellady. I was thinking of something that would cinch and squish and not be so noticeable. I can't tell you how many cute styles I've thought of and wanted to try but it'd always fall apart because you can't use something like bobby pins on locks. I think that with strategic twist ties a LOT could be done that's really far out there. Also, the style could be something you could even recline in for a little while without it looking trashed. That's what always annoys me the most.

It might be a little color crazy because I have such a variety of colors in ties, but when I can I'll make a few updos and try to post some pics here. So many ideas!!!

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

PIPE CLEANERS!!!

Holy crap I had an epiphany this morning as my cats were breathing in my face trying to wake me up. Just suddenly popped into my head. I was dreaming/contemplated how to do more elaborate styles with the obvious shortcomings of twist ties. The length. It's just not enough if you want to do more elaborate stuff. So what's a longer twist tie? Pipe cleaners!!! And there's all kinds of funkadelic styles of em.

http://www.dickblick.com/search/?q=pipe+cleaners&x=0&y=0&sp_cs=UTF-8

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

i want to go get a bunch of pretty ribbons to use :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form